gun safe or gun locks? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

gun safe or gun locks?

mechanic021

Reaction score
I am getting ready to move into my new house and there will be little kids around. I have about 15 guns to take with me and was wondering if I should see about getting a gun safe for them or just use my gun locks for right now. I have the type of gun locks that you remove the bolt and lock them through the breach. The guns will be in a locked room in the basement and the ammo will be kept in another part of the house completely. Only I will have the gun lock keys and the keys for the door to the basement room so do you think this is enough safety measures until I can afford a nice gun safe?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
I have one of the big cheapo gunsafe's that fits in the corner and i like it. The plan is to replace it one day with a real gun safe but cant justify the $1000 price right now. Cant really say too much about the locks as ive never used 'em.

SVO

Moderator Emeritus/Doctor
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Bastrop/Austin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
Turbocharged Navajo LX
How old are the kids?

Have they been taught about gun safety?

Are they mechanically inclined to be able to reassemble the guns to operate?

What other measures can you take to seperate keys, ammo, and guns away from one another?

Jeff - :navajo:

rhyno

Reaction score
City, State
Potomac, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 EB

CaptainObvious

Reaction score
City, State
Central, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT
SAFE. There's no better way.

dmasini

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
I have both. I keep my handgun in a small safe with a trigger lock... I guess fine for one or 2 but it may not be fiesable for 15...

Lt.Jim

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
South Central Pennsylvania/NorthernMaryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I would go with a gun safe. If not because of the kids at least if someone breaks in. If the guns only have a trigger or breach lock they can still be carried out of your home. If the guns are in a safe it is less likely that they will be stolen. Criminals will walk out with a gun and cut the lock off later. Chances are they will not walk out with a properly secured safe.

Just my two cents>

mechanic021

Reaction score
My stepson is 4 years old and he will be taught about gun safety and he will not be allowed near them at any time. I planned on keeping the guns locked up in the basement and keep the ammo and the actions for the guns in a small lock box in my closet upstairs.

Lt.Jim

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
South Central Pennsylvania/NorthernMaryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
A good thief will be able to get into a locked room fairly quick, most will not spend the time to get into a safe.