Guys, I really need help here.Fuel problem. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Guys, I really need help here.Fuel problem.

Sign of Cobra

Reaction score
City, State
Nowata, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
I really need some professional help/advise. I have my 98 Sport tore down for a 2001 5.0 motor. I know that my Sport has the return fuel system and the 2001 motor is set up for a returnless system. What needs to be done to the 5.0 to make it a return system? Or how do I make the Sport a returnless system? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Fuel pressures are very different between the return and returnless systems. Return system is variable between 2 and 2.5 bar (29 - 35 psi), the returnless is fixed at 4 bar (58 psi).

Trying to get the PCM to work with the wrong pressure is tough without a custom tune and even then, you've have to rework at least some of the fuel piping anyway.

Worse, your '98 expects the fuel pressure regulator to be engine mounted, the '01 5.0 expects the fuel pressure regulator to be in the fuel tank so your current mix has no pressure regulation at all.

Think the easy solution is to do a bit of u-pull-it breakers yard diving and get a returnless system from a later Sport or, the full EFI system from a late '97 (no PATS) or '98 Expo/Mountaineer V8 and use your current low pressure system. That would keep all the bits OEM Ford.

Or, an after market, external regulator/return

Don't forget, even the "returnless" system has a return, the 2nd fuel line at the back of the fuel filter is the return going back to the in-tank regulator.

The '96 and early '97 Expo use a different EGR valve and monitoring system so while not an impossible solution, not as simple as the later '97 or '98 systems.

return/returnless fuel lines

Installing a 2001 5.0 in my 98 Sport could someone tell me what parts I will need for the engine so it will have a " Return Fuel System "? I understand the 98 Sport has a 28lb fuel system, while the 2001 carried 59lbs pressure. I could make the Sport a " returnless system " or make the 2001 motor a " return fuel system like the 98 was. I understand that a fuel rail, injectors, bolt on regulator, and 98 fuel pump will be needed to convert the 2001 motor to a return fuel system. Is there anything else I will need. Please help.

Back