• Register Today It's free!

Guzzling coolant?

sledgehammer1990

Reaction score
City, State
Doylestown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I don't know why, but my radiator seems to guzzle all of the coolant. I don't have leaks anywhere, but my reservoir is always empty. I was in an accident recently, around Christmas, and I had to get the front end replaced. I had a new radiator installed and it is still leaving me bone dry. The engine isn't overheating or anything, but still. Any ideas?

Edit: Update! I was driving to staples and when I came out, I saw a puddle of coolant. It was still coming out on my way to the post office. I took it home, jacked it up, ran it for 15 minutes and nothing. The reservoir almost empty and I filled it last week.

Here are a few pics:
7136ua.jpg

fk0cw6.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The coolant has to go somewhere, check your oil. With your engine running pull out your dipstick and see if it looks like foamy chocolate milk. If it does, you most likely have a bad head gasket. If this is not the problem I'm at a loss for where it could be going.

I actually just changed the oil and filter last night. Came out all black. No foam or anything.

How certain are you that there are no external leaks? One of the first things I do when I'm losing coolant is to put a pressure tester on the radiator (you can borrow one from Autozone, so it doesn't have to cost anything) and pressure the system up cold for an hour or so until I'm pretty certain there are no external leaks.

As noted, the coolant has to be going somewhere. Into the oil has been mentioned, I would also add that it could be going through the combustion chamber. If this were Star Trek, I'd suggest looking for some time-space anomaly in the engine that is taking the coolant into another dimension. Internal leaks can be difficult to track down without disassembling the engine. I might pull the spark plugs and look for signs of contamination. Any signs of excessive water in the exhaust?

I had to replace the reservoir on mine because it had a small crack. The coolant wouldn't just pour out though. It dripped along the inner fender and along the frame. I never noticed a puddle anywhere either.

This isn't relatedto the reservoir but, do you by chance have a sweet type smell when driving or condensation on the windows when the heat is on?

The only smell that I ever get when driving is a burning smell because of my brakes. I really don't know why. I don't ride them or brake hard.

A burning brake smell could be the sign of a bad caliper. Back to the original coolant issue, pressure test the system if you don't know where your coolant is going. If you have a leak, it will show up.

Are you topping up with coolant at the radiator or the overflow? Might be a clogged transfer tube?
Put a sheet of cardboard under the sploder and run the engine for a while. Any leaks should show up on the cardboard and give you a good idea where to look for them. You can leave the cardboard under overnight and check for oil, tranny fluid, axle & diff fluid along with coolant.

Sounds like a good idea.

BTW, I just replaced both calipers about 6 months ago because 1 froze up when driving.

do you have alote of white smoke (condisation)when you first start it up in the morning if so coolent could be leeking into your combustion chamber pull your plugs and look for any strange colors such as a orange or rust color just a thought

Nope, no white smoke at all. Runs perfectly. I will test the cardboard theory today. Just have to get some coolant. It's just that I never see puddles anywhere. It drains relatively fast because whenever I check it, its always empty.

i can't see how no one has mentioned the lower intake gasket being a contestant in the find the leak show .......

i loose coolant ,but yet none hits the ground or goes anywhere else.....it does leak out the front side of the motor .right above the timeing chain cover and below the lower itake manifiold you can see a small leak minerial stream .it leaks just enough that the leak never hits the ground (maybe a drop or 2 on the ground if your lucky) but evaporates before so ...maybe thats whats going on here .

but if you never seen it on the ground and you say it's going away at a fast rate then check the plugs . may have a crack head/heads,anyways a cheap method before you start pulling any heads off the motor a least .

I didn't think to mention the intake gasket because of the amount of coolant he says he's going through. That much coolant leaking out the manifold would leave a puddle, or at least hit the exhaust for that sweet smell. Or am I mistaken on my thinking?

I loose about a quart of coolant per week in mine. My leak is at the bottom of the t-stat housing. I never get a puddle it burns off the engine before hitting the ground and no sweet smell when driving.

I didn't think to mention the intake gasket because of the amount of coolant he says he's going through. That much coolant leaking out the manifold would leave a puddle, or at least hit the exhaust for that sweet smell. Or am I mistaken on my thinking?

the only time you smell coolant on mine is if your near the hood and open and the engine running ( the fan stirs up the odor) but like i said i have no puddle under mine ( just a drop or two if it's really hot outside) other than that it evaporates on the front side of the motor and i had to really look for it when i saw it was leaking coolant out of the overflow...all most never found it but lucky for me it leaks outwards ( overhang design flaw on the lower intake ) .tho i have not let my over flow go dry i want to say that it leaks about half a quart a month ( maybe more or less...depends on how much i drive it cause thats how it leaks,only when the engine is on and running))

Ever strange, any time I've had a coolant leak it manages to find the exhaust. I hate that smell, it actually makes me feel physically ill. Anyway Sledgehammer, what have you found out? Also, you say every time you check the overflow it's empty...how often are you filling it up?

Not very often, maybe once a month. I didn't buy coolant yet, so I haven't tested it yet. I will soon though.

From the pictures in the first post I would say you either got a bad radiator installed or one of your hoses is swelled and not sealing when clamped on the new radiator. I have a trickle of coolant in the exact places you do, the sway bar, lower radiator shield, body mount. I have a leak in my pass side tank of the radiator, leaks after I top it off until it gets back down below the point of the leak (about 2 inches down from the top of the radiator) then stops. Double check the radiator and hoses

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back