Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 XLT Ironman
GWNF Run: 4 December 2011

UPDATE 11/29:

Alright we are doing a double header of Stony Run and Shoe Creek on 4 Dec. I've confirmed that Stony Run IS going to be open on that day, so we'll hit that one first and then head south to Shoe Creek.

Meetup point will be at 9 am at the beginning of Coal Road (Google Maps coordinates: 37.962196,-78.961841) and we'll go from there.

Currently we have going:

Ronin8002
DominicanX
Wills05XLT4x4 + 3 passengers
FishFood

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm definitely in for one of those days. Prefferably the 3rd.

Meeee I'm in I'd be up for both
Edit- wedding annaversary is Dec 2 and son is 3 on the 9 th party the 10th...
I have a few friends interested in riding along (gas money)and show them what's up

So with all that said...are we good for the 3rd?

Meeee I'm in I'd be up for both
Edit- wedding annaversary is Dec 2 and son is 3 on the 9 th party the 10th...
I have a few friends interested in riding along (gas money)and show them what's up

Any of these types of events going on in the NYC metro area?

I believe that Stoney Run will be closed by December. Shoe Creek is open. I would suggest that you go on Sunday. We did a trip on a Saturday during hunting season and it was a little busy. We got a lot of dirty looks. Plus there would not be anybody in the woods with guns shooting at stuff.

I'll have to let you all know if I can make it.

I believe that Stoney Run will be closed by December. Shoe Creek is open. I would suggest that you go on Sunday. We did a trip on a Saturday during hunting season and it was a little busy. We got a lot of dirty looks. Plus there would not be anybody in the woods with guns shooting at stuff.

Seems logical I like your thinking maybe the 4th

I called the ranger station last week to ask when Stony Run was scheduled to close. The lady I spoke to told me it would be open until 30 Dec or 2 January (she couldn't remember off the top of her head). FWIW it was open this past sunday when I was out there.

I can call again when we get closer and make sure.

4th is still fine for me whichever we do.

So I have three passengers all good for the 4th...
So what time were yall planning on meeting up?
I feel like if were making the drive we best make the best of our time and meet early and do both...

So I have three passengers all good for the 4th...
So what time were yall planning on meeting up?
I feel like if were making the drive we best make the best of our time and meet early and do both...

anywhere from 8:30-9:30 am meetup works for me. That'll give us all day to play.

Unclemeat how long does a pass though Shoe Creek take?

I figure around 3 hours for Stony Run and then probably 20-30 mins to get to Shoe Creek.

Shoe Creek is about the same length as Stoney Run. Two to four hours, depending on how much you stop for photos and play.

It is about 20-minutes from the end of Stoney Run to the gravel road that leads to Crabtree Meadow. Then it is about 20-minutes to the parking lot at Crabtree Meadows. That is really where the real trail begins.

This is the tread from my last trip.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167978&highlight=shoe+creek

Brandon was up there in the spring.

Shoe Creek is about the same length as Stoney Run. Two to four hours, depending on how much you stop for photos and play.

It is about 20-minutes from the end of Stoney Run to the gravel road that leads to Crabtree Meadow. Then it is about 20-minutes to the parking lot at Crabtree Meadows. That is really where the real trail begins.

This is the tread from my last trip.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167978&highlight=shoe+creek

Brandon was up there in the spring.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like an early morning meetup at the Coal Rd entrance will be good to make sure we have plenty of time to hit both trails.

You may want to check with Fishfood, he may want to go. But you may need to call, cause he does not spend a lot of time her on the forum.

Sorry I'm late for the meeting guys... lol

This will have to be a maybe for me until after Thanksgiving. I won't know my work schedule for the week of the 3rd till after black friday :(

always up for a wheelin trip

hey guys, sorry to be late to the discussion as well. thanks for the e-mail as i would have missed out otherwise.. i dont view the forum on a regular basis.

i havent fixed all the damage from last trip yet but what the hell.... in addition to the broken window, i also broke my exhaust.... i am pretty sure that it was in the first deep mud hole on stony run. because thats when i started hearing the un mistakeble hiss the hiss became a roar over the next several days. My "Y" pipe from the manifolds cracked at one of the welds. i guess the cold water hitting the red pipes (along with the nearly 200K miles) was too much for the weld to take. Anyway it is welded back together now, front end alignment has been reconfirmed so lets do it again.

chances are that i will be in the area (at the cabin) anyway so i am in for whatever the plans are. I may back off on a double header only because my tired old bones are usually ready to get off the trail for the day by the time i do one of these trips. but we will see.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is becoming a good group quickly...
I can't wait to see everyone again...
I'm taking my truck to trans shop Monday morning and I'm picking it up thanksgiving.....
Edit- ok so I'm almost positive it was OVER filled since I pulled the torx screw let a quart almost come out before I started it and attempted to add a quart and after adding that quart I pulled the tube and that quart came back out too.... Slipping seems to have stopped since I checked fluid levels... Feels strong but I'm concerned if it was damaged by being over filled for 10 k.mi.
Also how do I replicate the issue if removing that quart more or less did it...(still want it looked through)

Back