GWNF Stoney Run Run

unclemeat

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
Well the weather is turning nice again. I have not been on the Stoney Run trail. Who wants to go Exploring? I will have to check with the rangers to see that it is open. I am expecting to go before Easter, or at least before May.

Stoney Run is near Charlottsville. I forget all the details but will look them up befor the trip. This trail should should be a stocker to slightly modified equipment requirement.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, is anybody out there? or just stuck in 2wd.

unclemeat said:
Well the weather is turning nice again. I have not been on the Stoney Run trail. Who wants to go Exploring? I will have to check with the rangers to see that it is open. I am expecting to go before Easter, or at least before May.

Stoney Run is near Charlottsville. I forget all the details but will look them up befor the trip. This trail should should be a stocker to slightly modified equipment requirement.

When you lookin to go? Some friends and I might be interested in going. Is there camping available?
lance_defoggi@msn.com
Thanks
Lance

Charlotesville is a long way north of me.... any trails you wanna run further south I'm game.

It is the forest you can camp anywhere. I want to check out this trail because it is very close to Crozet, and it may be a good alturnative to the rock crawling.

I dont know the trails closer to Winston Salem. perhaps something around Roanoke might be good.

unclemeat said:
It is the forest you can camp anywhere. I want to check out this trail because it is very close to Crozet, and it may be a good alturnative to the rock crawling.

I dont know the trails closer to Winston Salem. perhaps something around Roanoke might be good.

sounds good to me, let me know when and I will probably go.

unclemeat said:
Who wants to go Exploring?

Let me know when and I'll do my best. The weekends look good for me through the middle of May, but the sooner, the better. I've missed a couple of recent trips due to mechanical problems, but the Ex is running now...

I would like to go soon. Mud bogg season is begining in a couple of weeks. Easter weekend is no good for me. Perhaps the Saturday befor or after Easter.

unclemeat said:
I would like to go soon. Perhaps the Saturday befor or after Easter.
I'm good either way, but would prefer the Sat before, which I guess would be the 8th, just because it's sooner. I looked back and realized it's been six months since I've done any serious wheeling - too long! :eek: The Ex is running - just need to put the CB in and cross my fingers that it stays that way...

Set a date and let's see who else can come along...

I'm not gonna be able to make it since I'll be swapping gears & installing the Skyjacker around that time. Got a garage full of parts, only thing holding me back is b/o'd brakelines. I won't be hitting the trails till May.

I've been to Stony Run, about 1.5 miles up the Coal Rd/fr42 end. Last summer when I was stock on 235s. I've read its 12mi long and gets worse as you go. I'll agree to that. What I did was very rocky, not technical rocky, but you do have to watch tire placement. Should be at minimum alot of fun for a stocker, and from pics I've seen possibly challenging as you get along. Saw tracks of very large boggers & iroks when I was there. There was a couple places to camp along the trail, but if you go down Coal Rd towards the 664 end, theres alot of camping spots.. some very near water.

My buddy spike was up there last weekend and said that it was closed. We are going to call the ranger station and see if it is a seasonal closure. I will post results.

unclemeat said:
We are going to call the ranger station and see if it is a seasonal closure. I will post results.
Any word on these trails? Trying to do some planning and was wondering if this was going to work out....

I still have not checked on the status of Stoney Run. There is a run up near Bueana Vista at the end of the month.

John, any word on the open/closed status of Stony Run?

unclemeat said:
There is a run up near Bueana Vista at the end of the month.
Do you have any info on this? I didn't see a thread on it...
thanks!

I still have not checked. I am running at least a month behind and going backwards.

Back