• Register Today It's free!

H&R springs installed.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Luckily I have a full shop with every tool known to man and a lift to work on...I’m too old to roll around on the floor anymore. Drove onto the lift at 7:45 this morning and drove off at noon. The front is standard strut stuff...super easy. Didn’t even need to compress the new spring...just slid it on and tightened the retaining nut. The back I had to study for a few minutes. I’m used to solid axle trucks...this multi-link stuff is new to me. I popped off the sway bar end links and lower shock then pulled the long through bolt on the outside of the LCA. Since I had no plans to ever reuse the oem springs I just cut them in half with a cut off wheel and they fell right out. Getting the new springs in took some prying on the LCA but I broke out the 48” “I’m not asking nice” pry bar and they went in with minimal effort.
measured drop in front was 1.25” and the rear was 1.5” after a 45 mile drive. H&R says they test every coil to full coil bind and they don’t settle but I’ll measure again in a couple hundred miles just to check. I’d like that missing 1/4” on both ends. lol
Measurements were taken with a full tank both times.
Ride quality is phenomenal. Firmer but not much and it handles even better than before. So far I’m impressed. It definitely looks a lot better and now I really can’t wait to get my new wheels on it.
Something to consider when you drop the rear more than the front is headlight alignment...you’ll more than likely need to drop the lights a bit to correct them.

Attachments

• D7074BF9-6523-43E4-917A-3DB637021990.jpeg
    D7074BF9-6523-43E4-917A-3DB637021990.jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 695
  • F25B9C71-F989-44F5-A23A-CD4D2A86DD52.jpeg
    F25B9C71-F989-44F5-A23A-CD4D2A86DD52.jpeg
    368.1 KB · Views: 695
  • D4235860-A680-4E5A-8101-DEB8E29CB6FE.jpeg
    D4235860-A680-4E5A-8101-DEB8E29CB6FE.jpeg
    301.8 KB · Views: 1,196

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That actually looks really good!!

Is that custom exhaust installed too?

No, I just swapped on some 4” tips. The tiny stock ones weren’t working for me. lol

Nice, looks much better. I got the Borla cat back installed on mine, the same 4" tips but the sound is a little bit more meaner when you press on it.

Can’t say I’m a fan of the sound of either Borla system. I do like the sound of the new Corsa but I’m gonna wait until Magnaflow releases theirs before I make a decision.

Did the lowering springs improve or reduce the ride quality?

I strongly believe the factory springs don't have enough give and in conjunction with the low profile garbage Pirelli tires, is probably why so many people are reporting suspension noises. I've never owned a vehicle that bangs so hard on small bumps at low speeds like the ST does and I've owned a few with sport tuned suspension.

Just curious Brian if those others with the tuned suspension also had the low profile tires? Low profile tires combined with a Sport-tuned suspension will definitely result is a stiffer/harder ride. The ST with the OEM 20" tires may be slightly better as there would be a little more sidewall to absorb any shocks.

Peter

Nothing less than the 275/45s on the ST. I didn't intend for my rant to deviate from the topic of this discussion.

Still hoping those that have installed lowering springs can comment on any changes in the ride quality and how the vehicle responds to bumps and road imperfections.

OEM factory tire without the Track or Street pack is a 255/55R20.

Peter

Did the lowering springs improve or reduce the ride quality?

I strongly believe the factory springs don't have enough give and in conjunction with the low profile garbage Pirelli tires, is probably why so many people are reporting suspension noises. I've never owned a vehicle that bangs so hard on small bumps at low speeds like the ST does and I've owned a few with sport tuned suspension.

Did you adjust your pressure down to 33psi?

The H&R springs are a touch firmer but not close to harsh. It feels like it should have now.

reviving an old thread. Did you ever get that extra .25 inch that H&R claims for the drop?

reviving an old thread. Did you ever get that extra .25 inch that H&R claims for the drop?
If this is directed at the OP, he hasn't been seen here since September 8, 2020.

Peter

It was in fact directed at OP. Thanks!
Yes, wrong generation, but more of a comment on H&Rs. I used H&Rs on my wife's '13 Limited, same deal, didn't get the advertised drop, and it didn't settle any more after install. Not impressed. Ive used H&Rs numerous times and always happy, till this install. Looks better but not what I was expecting.
20220406_185257.jpg
20220406_185314.jpg

Back