• Register Today It's free!

HA HA HA she has begun....

redemption5525

Reaction score
City, State
colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt
Alrighty I got the hammer shifter installed. No pictures... :) I am going to tease all of you until she is completed.. i might sneak it on here who knows... Now that that is finished had some questions... and looking for some input...
I love the look of ExIce's Explorer, the glacier truck look with 38 inch tires and the custom fender flares.... Now i am planning on making my own fender flares out of fiber glass.... Should I go for a beefy look... I.e.
IMG_7850.JPG

OR should I go with a Sporty look i.e.

2197326_172_full.jpg

Now i am not going to bite the style of these gentlemans explorers.. merely seeking some input on what appeals more.. If its the glacier truck look I am not going to do 38 inch tires... Possibly 32's at the largest, but i am going to make my fenderflares too give it that beefy look, maybe a 3 inch body lift, 2 inch shackle, and 2 inch tt lift. No matter what I am putting a v8 with flow master 40 series... dual... I love that sound of the mean ass engine. Cant get enough of it. But, I need to know with what ever direction I choose to go.. what else I should look into doing. Please any input is always welcome!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd say lifted with as wide tires and wheels as you can possibly go. something like this
1104081221bnolicenseplate.jpg

i believe those tires are mickey thompson baja belted at around 15" wide...took that picture on the way to class today

Go big or go home. Beef 'er up. :D

Go big or go home. Beef 'er up. :D

Yeah and just remember...going big is more fun than going home.

also...mickey thompson has a few tires that come in 33x15.5, that would look cool.

Ha Ha i have to be honest, I decided to go big right after I posted this... I want to keep it as a daily driver as well... I live in colorado, we have plenty of hills and trails to go through... So 38's is what I would love to do... Just had the Engine blow on my 84 K5 Blazer 40' super swampers 6 inch super lift.. but I think between 31's - 33's... Im thinking of a Solid Axle Swap.. ? Any Thoughts? Its cost so damn much to lift this thing with the Independent suspensions, and they are so go damn costly to repair. Solid axle swap seems more conventional, obviously not easy.. but all the same. I know this is a very strenious process... Ive read a few threads on it, but thatsu not enough haha. Anyone have a rough guess on the cost.. what type of axles I could use... or should i use... I think having solid axles would be easier to throw a nice lift on.. but the hammer shifter is installed.. first modification complete... its awesome.. drool... I started fabricating my center console and door panels.. now dont get me wrong, they arent show truck fiberglass works... I incorporated One aftermarket speaker and tweeter in each driver door, and am going to paint it with bed liner... I am blacking out the interior, and the outside... was going to do flat black but am thinking otherwise now... still an option.. but torque monster headers.. v8.. flow masters... A big ass mean sounding machine. Thanks for the input guys

Its cost so damn much to lift this thing with the Independent suspensions, and they are so go damn costly to repair.

Its only costly the first time the D35 IFS ***** the bed. Amen for lifetime warranties on balljoints, tie rod ends and halfshafts.

so how has the shifter been working for you. the first time you mentioned it I wasn't sure it'd work, to be honest. please share!!

Its only costly the first time the D35 IFS ***** the bed. Amen for lifetime warranties on balljoints, tie rod ends and halfshafts.

It's not that expensive if you know where to get the parts.

Hey man times are tough right now. I've also got a ton of D35 IFS surplus from Dana and can't seem to move the stuff but I know people on here are doing the work :)

Hey man times are tough right now. I've also got a ton of D35 IFS surplus from Dana and can't seem to move the stuff but I know people on here are doing the work :)

Sounds like you should make a price sheet & quantity of the items you have & post it up. Hell I'd be willing to help ya out if ya need it.

The shifter is awesome. I know it sounds cliche but i learned how to drive oh so long ago on a manual 5 speed prelude, and havent had an automatic since. For awhile there I had one of those tall ass Arizona ice tea ans in my cup holder with my left hand on the steering wheel for comfort ha ha, but the hammer shifter is awesome. I have the option to ratchet through the gears if I want too, Or I can just put it in Drive and it still automatically shifts.. Its asthetically pleasing, as well as niffty. Its the start of a nice project I feel. Im having second thoughts of an sas, i have no welding knowledge, or what all is needed to do it. Or if I should just change the entire undercarriage to that of a jeep lol. I feel I shouldnt go elite until I become more knowledeable... im only 21 and learning. I appriciate all of the input fellas..

How about some pictures of the shifter (if you're done, but it sounds like your might be) and a little write up *Hint Hint*

Im in the process of writing it out.. Better believe ill post it because of how long i searched for it lol. Pictures shall come, in the process of getting a camera

Back