Hair pulling electrical issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hair pulling electrical issues

Reaction score
City, State
Boyceville, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
I've already spent hours combing through forum topics, a lot of great info, everything I needed to "fix" my explorer's door ajar/dome light/power window/car alarm problem (5 broken wires in the driver's door boot), BUT, 3 days later it started doing it all again and much more frequent (5 to 10 minutes) instead of hours. Tore into the door again to inspect my wire crimps, all in great shape. Pulling my hair out on this one. What the heck am I missing everybody?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've already spent hours combing through forum topics, a lot of great info, everything I needed to "fix" my explorer's door ajar/dome light/power window/car alarm problem (5 broken wires in the driver's door boot), BUT, 3 days later it started doing it all again and much more frequent (5 to 10 minutes) instead of hours. Tore into the door again to inspect my wire crimps, all in great shape. Pulling my hair out on this one. What the heck am I missing everybody?[/QUOTE
I've already spent hours combing through forum topics, a lot of great info, everything I needed to "fix" my explorer's door ajar/dome light/power window/car alarm problem (5 broken wires in the driver's door boot), BUT, 3 days later it started doing it all again and much more frequent (5 to 10 minutes) instead of hours. Tore into the door again to inspect my wire crimps, all in great shape. Pulling my hair out on this one. What the heck am I missing everybody?
2002-2005 Ford Explorer Door Ajar Light: Common Door Wiring Faults look for this on youtube. it is your door ajar switch. This video shows how to fix it. I just disconnected the switch and ran a wire between the two female ends. The only downside is that my interior light does not come on when I open the door. Most of my Explorer issues have been solved by this guy's videos FordTechMakuloco. The door wiring issue was the first. Hope this helps.

If it is the door ajar switch, try spraying WD40 into the mechanism. Doesn't always work, but It has fixed a stuck switch for many people.

Second on the WD40 spray. Ours did this a few years back. Sprayed WD40 on it and it has never happened again.

Thanks for the replies! I had originally thought my problem was the door ajar switch and tried the wd40 trick but it didnt work. I was convinced that was the problem until I discovered the broken wires. Though I guess I shouldn't be surprised multiple things were wrong at the same time. These trucks are money pits.

When I got into the door panel and got to the switch and tried to pull the connector off the switch completely came apart. That is why I just jumped the switch and all of my alarm and door ajar issues went away. I never had the window issues though. The WD-40 worked for a little, but the switch was wrecked, it is just a little spring and ball switch. The door panel comes off easier than I thought and the switch is a pain to get to and is wrapped in "sticky tape" but it is do-able for any home mechanic. The video I referenced is what helped me.

Thanks for the replies! I had originally thought my problem was the door ajar switch and tried the wd40 trick but it didnt work. I was convinced that was the problem until I discovered the broken wires. Though I guess I shouldn't be surprised multiple things were wrong at the same time. These trucks are money pits.
I just went through this. I had two different doors with switches that had gone bad but visually looked good still. The mechanic I had do it was also able to fix the broke wire. Went from having all those issues to only not having working courtesy lights when i open the doors.

I had some door switch issues 4 years ago at 60K when I first got mine. Sprayed all with WD40 and problems solved. A month ago I turned on my over head door lights on manually with the dimmer switch and accidentally left on all night. Next day started it up and none of them worked. Remembered the manual on and shut if off and so happy for the bulbs dying or the battery saver kicking in. Later that day the rear seat light worked but the most rear and front two didn't work. Couple weeks later the front passenger light randomly started working. Week after that the driver now is working too. The most rear light somehow got switched to off instead of door... IDK just a Ferd thing I guess cause they all work now again...

My over head driver door light randomly comes to life/dies all the time...

Back