• Register Today It's free!

Halp! Running rich, and rough

bbrown702

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey everyone, I’ve run into a driveability issue, and was wondering if anyone can help me. I have a 2006 xlt, 4.0 150,000 miles recently it started stalling, and running rough on me no codes, no lights. I haven’t done anything crazy to it, and haven’t changed anything since last year when I did the alternator. Occasionally it’ll run real rough as if it’s running on 4 cylinders. I noticed that when it starts running like garbage the short term fuel trim is up around -28, and it wreaks of fuel. Occasionally it’ll stall too, and if you restart it it runs fine for a bit before missing again. Also it only does it when hot. Thanks in advance.

Check your plugs and coils? When were they checked/done last?

The plugs were done spring 2016 last. The coil is still the original.
How many miles on the plugs? Outside of this idk what to say especially with no faults. Everything else I can think of would trigger a light. I would think about doing the coils. Did you check the air filter?

If all else fails try jumping the positive and negative battery wires together for 5 minutes after disconnecting them. It’ll reset the computer. I’ve never heard of it frying anything but people on here seem to worry about it.

All else I’m worried there might be a head gasket or valve issue.

Back