• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Ham Radio Mobile Antenna Installation HF!

hamexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Clark, N.J.
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
I have some vintage Drake equipment that I am going to sell. This will permit me to raise some funds for a new mobile rig. The fuel pump noise is what bothers me.
I am starting to think of mounting the antenna to the drivers side fender or lip where the hood meets the fender. However what I dont know is if they will support a HF antenna.
I found a partial reel of #4 gauge wire in the garage so I guess I can use this for the power feed.
Any ideas on the antenna would be appreciated. Thinking of maybe a hamstick for 15 and 20 mtr ssb to start with.....73

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I ran a ball mount for my HF on the rear passenger sidequarter panel. I accessed the spot through the little storage compartment in the rear. Some have the subwoofer in that spot. Worked well.

I don' think the hood lip would support a big ham stick too well.

A hustler antenna with the loading coil up high should work well since it shouldn't be interferring with the body.

Ray Hutchinson

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Dana Point, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Mobile HF woth an Ex

Hamexplorer,

First, what Rick said is correct.

Also, the fuel pump "whine/buzz" to quote Ford tsb's is relatively cureable. See the thread by corv78, above.

I have been running HF -Ex for several years. I have installed the Ford RFI filter (no longer available) onto the fuel pump mounted in the tank. I have yet to install the in line torroid filters described above, but plan to soon,

I run an Outbacker Perth HF mobile antenna, and have it mounted "Auzzie style", that is, up front on my brush bar. This offers a couple of advantages: 1. it moves it far away from the fuel pump, and 2., I can see if I'm about to wipe the antenna out on a low branch, etc,, and steer around or stop and lower it, if needed.

The radio is a DX70TH by Alinco,

Not the highest dig. set up, but works well for me. :cool:

73 de Ray, AE6H

Bwana Bob

Reaction score
City, State
Morris Plains, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
I mounted my HF antenna up high. I replaced the stock roof rack with Yakima crossbars. A standard clamp type CB antenna mount clamps onto the rearmost crossbar, if you use longer screws on the mount. The antenna is a Hustler short mast (MO4) with Hustler resonator. I ran a very short piece of braid from the mount to the rearmost screw on the roof rack track for a good ground. For the lower HF bands 80 and 40, I made a little switch box that switches 100, 470, or 820 pf capacitors between the whip and ground. This makes a big improvement in SWR. For sationary use, I take the Hustler antenna off and use a 67 foot wire out to a tree for 80 meters and an army surplus 16 foot whip for all other bands.

Bob WB2VUF

hamexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Clark, N.J.
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
How good does it work on 15 and 20 meters?

Bwana Bob

Reaction score
City, State
Morris Plains, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
RE: Mobile antenna 15 & 20

The Hustler short mast works fine on 17 and 15 meters. I have used it successfully on Field Day. I think the secret is in getting the feed point on top of the vehicle instead of on the side or bumper. I get a little extra height and the antenna is clear of the truck body. The short mast seems to work as well as the longer (5 foot) masts. I have not used this setup on 20 meters. Since I only work 20 meters stationary, I use the 16 foot military whip. These whips and mounts are available from Fair Radio Sales and other surplus outlets. For 20 meters, I use all 5 sections. For 15 meters I take one section out. The swr is excellent in both cases and performance is probebly the same as a base station vertical at the same height. Don't drive around with one of these whips on the roof.

For mobile-in-motion, my choice would be either the Hustler or the Lakeview Hamstick. Here's what would be cool: Put antenna mounts on the rear on each side of the roof rack and mount a 20 meter Hamstick on one side and a 15 meter stick on the other side. Put a coax switch under the dash and you can switch bands!. Of course, you could just use a single Hustler mast with the multiple resonator adapter and 2 resonators.

Bob WB2VUF

Stompah

HAWAIIAN NITEMARE
Reaction score
City, State
Hilo, Hawaii but reside in Ridgecrest, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4WD
"I have yet to install the in line torroid filters described above, but plan to soon,"

Hey Ray,

Where'd you get those torroid "donuts" from? I've been looking around and can't seem to find any. RF Parts wants a little too much for theirs...

Ipo

Ray Hutchinson

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Dana Point, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Torroid source

Rat shack!.....use the snap together square ones. Sorry don't have the part number handy

Stompah

HAWAIIAN NITEMARE
Reaction score
City, State
Hilo, Hawaii but reside in Ridgecrest, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4WD
"Rat shack!.....use the snap together square ones. Sorry don't have the part number handy"

Hahaha... roger that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
tdavis Interesting ham radio.. Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 9
K ham radio reccomendations Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 12
R Entry Level Ham Radio help. Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 20
T 5th Generation (2015) Ham Radio Install Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 11
tdavis Getting Ham Radio for under $40.. Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 9
CobraMountaineer 2nd Gen Install Ham Radio Style Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 6
Rick What's new in the ham radio world?? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 3
Rick Ham Radio Forum Moderator Needed Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 14
9 What is HAM radio and.. Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 2
T Cool stuff to do with Ham radio. Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 9
B Newbie ham radio choices/ 2M? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 4
C Steps to cure Fuel Pump noise in ham radio or CB Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 16
C Fuel pump causing noise in ham radio - dealer keeps it overnight, confused Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 38
J Crankshaft Sensor & Ham Radio Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 4
S Ham Radio Guys Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 390
W Irratating ham radio operator. Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 17
R Which HF Ham Radio do you use in the Truck? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 9
Ray Hutchinson TDS Desert Safari and Ham Radio Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 0
T Ham radio Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 11
R Ham Radio Introduction Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 1
R Ham Radio Introduction Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 1
N 02 Explorer mobile Ham & Scanner shack Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 6
A 2011-2014 Explorer Ham Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 1
willindsay Thinkin about getting my Ham License Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 4
V HAM used in Emergency?? Give your account!! Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 3
Hitchhikingmike Looking at ham radios... Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 5
SVO42 thinking about getting my ham license-question Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 3
storlied What exactly is HAM and how is it different than cb? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 2
Raminator157 Ham License Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 15
Arthur CB and Ham Antena Locations... Post Your Pictures Here Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 119
Rick Additional Ham Operators Needed for Katrina Aid Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 0
M new to ham where to start? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 3
E Just got My Ham License!!!!!!, where to mount ham rig Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 13
S ham install pics Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 0
J HAM question Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 26
R A Ham about to buy an Expolorer... Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 7
G Ham to CB? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 2
F Solution to CB/Mobile Ham Placement Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 1
H Getting started with Ham Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 5
C frs/cb/ham Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 3
H Modify HAM so it can get CB as well? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 6
H Modify HAM so it can get CB as well? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 0
G Cost of HAM. Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 1
N Ham equipment in an explorer Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 1
R HAM / FCC question.. Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 4
P More HAM questions Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 1
bigred4x4 Cb radio Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 0
Rick New radio for the Pumpkin Yaesu FT400 Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 7
B cb radio/antenna help Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 3
T CB Radio and antenna install on a 3rd Generation Explorer Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 12