:hammer: Smoking Turn Signal/steering column!?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

:hammer: Smoking Turn Signal/steering column!??

Smoking Turn signal/steering column!??

I have a 98 sport and sometimes when I put on the turn signal, it stays lit and does not flash. Then, just today it did it again, and I noticed a few wisps of smoke rising from the steering column. I know some of you have had the turn signal stick, but has anyone ever seen it smoke? Please help ASAP! I don't want to toast anything .:eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had that problem on my 99 limited. I replaced
the multifunction switch and problem solved.
Hopes that helps.

bippy93, Was your problem the sticking turn signal, or smoke, or both? Did you replace it yourself?

It had both at 1 time, and just smoke another time.
Yes I changed it myself. A couple of screws on the
column shrouds and 2 hold the switch in.

It sounds easy enough. Any idea what causes it to not flash and sometimes smoke? Could you see what the problem was when you took it out? Where did you get the replacement and how much did it cost?

I'm not sure what causes this to happen, guessing
a short internal in the switch. I bought it at a
Ford dealer, but cant remember how much it cost,
I dont remember it being to bad.

this is common. there is too much grease on the contacts you can clean it off. You might try searching for the exact procedure.

just to update this thread, ive had this problem on a few occassions since this past summer (smoke, and the blinking stopped), and i did a lil research, and according to ford, when that happens, the switch needs to be replaced (~$51 when i bought mine last week.) also, the smoke you see is an indicator that the coating on one of the wires in there is "burning" off. i was told by a local dealership that once in a while, one of the wires in there gets "pinched", and to fix the problem, you should replace the multifunction switch, and if there is any bare wire, cut out the piece thats bare and solder in a new section. ill be taking care of mine next weekend, and ill take pics - if anyone is really interested, i can do a full writeup.

There is a FREE recall for replacement of the switch assembly on my '99; not sure about other years.

Originally posted by aldive
There is a FREE recall for replacement of the switch assembly on my '99; not sure about other years.

i remember reading somewhere that you said that al, so i checked it out first. the service dept rep at the local dealership said its not all 99's; it goes by VIN #, and i gave her my VIN #, and its not applicable on my truck. apparently they started using a different switch - the guy in the parts dept showed me. the old switch used to cost ~$70, and the new one, which is the one that supossedly doesnt have any issues was only $51. i guess its probably a good idea for anyone else with this problem to give a call to a dealership with your VIN, just to see if theyll do it for free first.

i have a 2000 sport with the same problem...however the ford mechanic says that judging by my vin, its not applicable to me??!!! wtf. :mad:

I ended up fixing the problem myself. I removed the steering column covers and the turn signal stalk, and then split the stalk in two (it has two pieces that snap together). It turned out that one of the wires' insulation in the signal stalk had completely worn through. It had been rubbing on part of the stalk whenever the signal was selected. I guess it must have been a design flaw. Anyway, all I did to fix it was wrap the wire in heat-shrink tubing and electrical tape. It has been nearly a year now, and the problem shows no signs of returning.

I had the same thing happen. I was driving when I first got the truck [99 XLT] and I didn't have the seat adjusted right. When I hit the signal, it hit my knee and didn't go all the way. By the time I realized that it wasn't clicking, I saw the same smoke coming out of my column. Its been working fine since, so I thought nothing of a replacement. Guess I should get it looked at.

Same sorta deal happened to me last week. I was on a roadtrip up to washington and i was merging onto the I-5 - coming to a stop.. fliped the blinker on made my right turn onto the I-5. Then burning smell and smoke out of the steering column.
No problems resulted from it.. so when i got back home i took it to the stealership.
like others have said- it was bad multifunction switch. It was a warrenty fix.. and looking at the bill.. a $261 fix too. quite pricey.. 20 dollar switch.. 241 dollars in labor. lol.. good thing it was a warrentied repair!

Back