Hammers 5.0, AOD and 5.0 Atlas Swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hammers 5.0, AOD and 5.0 Atlas Swap

Here is a list of what I have put together over the years.
A 5.0 Atlas on the way, $2,300 with shifters and 31spline shafts
An AOD at Hughes performance getting rebuilt and having the advance adapters output shaft and case adapter installed. $1,400.00
Advance adapters 4 core radiator $300.00
Advance adapters motor mounts $75.00
92 Mustang GT motor ready for install with computer and full harness.
Ford wiring diragrams will arive Friday and we will start the swap after we finish a friends 5.0 HO with C6 transmission swap in his 71 Bronco.
More updates to come....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so are you ever gonna wheel this thing or just keep building it?

Nice :) Although the AOD can be a PITA. I hope it is being built for a truck and not for a car.....My friend Joe went through 2 AOD builds, torque converters, valve bodies, etc behind his HO 5.0L in the 4 door ex before ripping it all out again and going 4r70w....they could not get the correct stall converter and the trans gearing was just wrong for the truck...turns out the AOD was build for drag racing

Rockranger: No moab this year. I will be doing the Rubicon in July :D
offroader: I have been wheeling the crap out of it. I am just tired of overheating my trans and the lack of power. Time for a change!
410: Hughes built my trans for 4 wheelin. The atlas will make up for any issues with the trans but Hughes did a good job of building a sport specific trans.

My A4Ld used to run at 215-235, spikes up to 250 at times (not good)
thats with a huge trans cooler and a 10" e fan mounted to the cooler.

The 4r70w runs at 150-175 degrees now with my Ron Davis aluminum radiator and a simple large B&M cooler (no more e fan). The A4Ld was just taxed trying to move a BII on 35" tires in the desert, for the larger 4r70w its effortless.

Makes you wonder even more what the HELL WAS FORD THINKING putting the A4LD in a 4200# SUV???

Hammer said:
offroader: I have been wheeling the crap out of it. I am just tired of overheating my trans and the lack of power. Time for a change!

completely understood, and jealous!

Well after two fires on the last run and blowing up the powersteering I have had enough.
Its all coming out. Did some preliminary work and dropped the trans-transfer case assembally, all the wiring and computer, radiator condensor, driveshafts and this weekend we will pull the motor.
I will freshen up the engine compartment and prep the motor for install.
Trans is ready, Atlas is here, new mounts, pan, waterpump, alternator, starter, tensioner pulley, plugs, rotor, wires.
Lots to do, I will take pics.

Anyone know if the stock column shifter will work with an AOD???

Hammer said:
Anyone know if the stock column shifter will work with an AOD???

aod, i dont know, i cheated with my swap by using a '99 stock explorer 4r70w and just buying the explorer shifter cable mount and the 93 stock shifter cable fit fine, at worst you might need to fab something up, but that shouldnt be any harder then shoving the v8 in

The AOD uses a shifter pattern that goes P-R-N-OD-D-1

Got the 4.0 motor out last weekend and the 5.0 stabbed in.
Issues.
Advanced Adapters motor mounts suck ass!!! Dont use them.
I ended up using 71 bronco mounts. I purchased two sets, one to cut down for mockup and one to use. The two together were less than the shipping on the A.A. crapola :fire:
The motor sits really low and that has it benefits but a few items need to be delt with.
Anyway here are some pics..

progress :eek:

Attachments

• P1010222.JPG
    P1010222.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 546
  • P1010223.JPG
    P1010223.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 560
  • P1010225.JPG
    P1010225.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 509
  • P1010227.JPG
    P1010227.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 510

Yep its purple!

I got the new oil pan and had it at work for a couple days. I was messing around and asked a painter to paint it. He asked " What Color?" I told him purple cause my daughter love purple. This is what he painted.
I have a 90 Mustang LX that I am going to paint this color. It is bad ass!!!

Attachments

• P1010231.JPG
    P1010231.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 495
  • P1010233.JPG
    P1010233.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 462

Cant wait till see this beast done. What ratio you have in your axles right now? Wondering what your final crawl ratio will be.

ahhh the memories :)

splodo49, I am running 5:13 gears.

Heading to the shop right now to build the trans crossmember.

UPDATES
I have done a ton of work on this truck since the last e-mail. We have plummed all of the lines for the trans (extra cooler & electric fan cooler), radiator hoses, fuel lines, vacume lines, etc.
I know have ram assisted steering :D
My box has been ported and the pump changed to high preasure for about 2 years. I finally got the ram mounts maid up, ram installed and the lines made and installed. I looks great. I had some issues with my transmission and alternator on the trial run. All has been fixed and we will test this weekend.
Everything has to work, next weekend is Rubicon :confused:
pics to come

Signing up for pics.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

where is your test run going to be? My explorer is sitting dead with a bad tranny but I've got this nice solid axled ranger I just picked up last sunday waiting to be wheeled.

Back