Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pinole, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F250/XLT Superduty
Callsign
KG6MAX
I just got back from doing Sledgehammer, Jackhammer, Clawhammer, and Aftershock in Johnson Valley.

For those wondering what it is: http://www.larks.net/story_archive/johnson/page1.html gives a good overall view of the trails.

I didn't take many pics - but they are here

Yes, I'd say a well built Explorer/Ranger could do these trails.

We had minor problems - I pulled my front driveshaft apart when I backed up and caught a big rock, had a loose wheel bearing, and blew an air fitting apart. We also had an ARB switch die, and some minor transfer case leaks. Overall, it was an awesome trip. I can't wait for another chance to go!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stoked you had a good time.

Don't think I'll be taking my X out there any time soon.

Was the driveshaft too short already or did the rock just pull it open?

Looks like fun after I get some skidplates and sliders!!!
I dont think I have ever heard of the ARB switch being at fault, interseting. Those marine switches are pretty reliable

Tom how would you rate the trails? front and rear lockers? 35's? Min?

You will need front and rear lockers, and at least 33's, 35's are better! Jack and Sledge are the first trails I've ever been on that you need a front locker almost full time.

The ARB switched disingrated. So they do wear out. We simply bypassed it. It did appear to be an older model of the switch - probably about 10 years old range.

The rock literally caught the front axle, and pulled it apart. Normally, I don't have a problem with the driveshaft.

Two members of the Rubicon Owners went there last weekend, and Jason who is completely new to 'wheeling (besides having a lifted Expedition), told me that his bumpers, boulderbars and front license plate all got banged up due to the hard nature of these trails. His #@@P rolls on 35" MT/Rs, has a 5.5" R.E. Longarm Suspension, and isn't afraid of banging his #@@P up on the rocks. I only have 33s, and I might try some of the trails out there once it cools down. I hear the place is a blast!

-Ken

Back