• Register Today It's free!

handling with the lowered 4wd EX?

94ZebraRanger

Reaction score
City, State
Laramie, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer XLT
I have just gone through all the posts in this section looking at info for lowering. What I found was the 4wd can only be safely lowered 2" maybe a little more. How is the ride with removing the t-bolt? But what about lowering + handling. I am thinking on getting another X/ mountaineer for street.
What I want to do is make it handle, I live in the Mountains and love carving the corners. so it would have to handle and have power.:burnout: With 4x4 Ex's being the most available especialy in my area. I figure 4wd/AWD would be better for traction. Kinda like the GMC Cyclone/typhoon.

Would it be better to search for a 2wd for serious handling? How low can the 2wd be dropped. what about handling parts,swaybars ect. availablity?

Tim

im wondering the same things because i have a 91 explorer 4wd and i want to lowered it 2inches and i was wondering if it will have the same ride or will it be worse

i lowered my 2000 x awd and the ride is the same ... i have the ee rear bar, edelbrock front shocks and air shocks in the rear .... the handling is improved over stock ... i even took it to a shelby club open track day and i was faster than a few mustangs, 1 porshe with a huge wing, and that was with the all terrain tires ... just waiting for them to wear out so i can put on my svt rims with 275/60/17, then it will handle much better ..... a two wheel drive you can lower more but as far as all weather traction you cannot beat awd ..... i did remove my front drive shaft before and getting on the gas around corners the rear would fishtail sometimes .....

Back