Hands-free foot-activated liftgate. Is it an option or is it standard ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hands-free foot-activated liftgate. Is it an option or is it standard ?

Mike_CO

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited
Hi.
I saw online on Cragslist a nice Ford Explorer Limited 2017.
I drove it, was nice, no weird noise, etc...
I told the owner that I was going to purchase it.

The owner is telling me that the hands-free foot activated liftgate doesn't seems to be installed. Never worked, so an option not installed.

Can anyone confirm that this is an option on the 2017 Limited version ?
Also, how to verify if this is installed or not ?

I am afraid purchasing an Explorer that has been damage on the back. Thanks.

I am in Colorado, Denver area...

P.S.
The alignment of the windows on the side, by the liftgate, are not aligned the same. Looks like these are popping out, and not the same way on both side.
I am wondering if the car has been hit on the back. Maybe the reason why the hads-free foot activated liftgate
doesn't work.

Thanks for your help---

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Mike.:wave:
The Foot-Activated Hands-Free Power Liftgate was standard equipment on the 2017 Limited according to the order guide. The Owner's Manual only shows one fuse for the power liftgate so if the power liftgate works then it isn't a fuse issue but possibly a sensor problem.

Peter

If the vehicle has the towing package then the sensors are NOT on the centerline. If you look under the vehicle the sensors are on each side of the centerline. Three on each side.

If even the slightest doubt with damage RUN AWAY There are plenty of more NON DAMAGED Explorers are out there.

Am I correct in thinking that if my Mom's 2018 has all the remote start and key-free start /stop engine, unlock and locking features with the "smart" key, it may not have the foot activated power lift gate?. I was thinking it did. She can't get it to work if it's there and I'm 3 hours from where she lives. Not that I'd expect a 78 year old lady to lay on the ground and look for senors, but is there another way to find out?

One final place to check before climbing under vehicle. Instrument Panel Cluster

Drivers cluster LCD screen. Left of speedometer for the type 2 instrument cluster. Type 2 is the center analog speedometer with 4” LCD screen on each side.

Settings............Vehicle........Power Liftgate............
Two options in the menu.

Enable Switch....or.....Disable switch.......
Check to see if Enable Switch is checked....

It is possible that previous owner or dealer might have not used the feature.

That should be a decent starting point before getting under vehicle and hands or clothes dirty.

Some setting options may be greyed out or not shown at all if vehicle does not have the features.

Hope this helps! Good luck! and keep us posted with the results.

The foot activated lift gate maybe on same power and fuse control but sensors are separate. Obviously not have your 78 y/o mother to check have someone check under the rear bumper. If vehicle has two package the hitch receiver will be along the center of the rear bumper fascia. The foot activated lift gate sensors are each side of the hitch receiver. Three driver side and three passengers. My 2018 Sport has the two package so not sure if there was a 7th sensor of a non tow package models.

Am I correct in thinking that if my Mom's 2018 has all the remote start and key-free start /stop engine, unlock and locking features with the "smart" key, it may not have the foot activated power lift gate?. I was thinking it did. She can't get it to work if it's there and I'm 3 hours from where she lives. Not that I'd expect a 78 year old lady to lay on the ground and look for senors, but is there another way to find out?
Which trim level is it? Foot activated liftgate was standard on some like the Platinum. However, if you don't see the setting mentioned by Stephen then the vehicle doesn't have it.

Peter

2017 Ford Explorer sales brochure Page 15 lower right corner.....

Liftgate Hands free activates.

Standard on Limited Sport and Platinum so I say check the menu first see to see what the power liftgate setting is in... as in either enabled or disabled. It could be that simple to get it working again. Be careful and nene sure to stand back when opening...wouldn’t want the liftgate to open on mother to crack her coconut. Also flat non slippery surface you don’t want to fall down with only one foot for balance.....caution especially in snow and ice. Good luck!!

I don't know if this will help any but I was misinformed about the foot motion. I thought it was side to side when the correct motion is in and out.

Thank you very much fellas! Now I have something to go on. It was brand new to her and she thought she was getting the feature but it's not working. I'll see it again eventually and get it sorted out. Thanx again

I don't know if this will help any but I was misinformed about the foot motion. I thought it was side to side when the correct motion is in and out.
From page 67 of your Owner's Manual. ;)

Move your foot under and away from
the rear bumper detection area in a
single-kick motion. Do not move your
foot sideways or the sensors may not
detect the motion. Kick between the
exhaust and hitch if your vehicle is
equipped with a hitch.

Peter

Could you have someone on the forum local to her maybe see and show her?

I know you would be asking a stranger to help but never know if she was close enough to me I would drop by and help her for ya.

Mike

Well, I've finally made it up here and have had a good look underneath. I see no sensors what-so-ever; not even where they mite be located. In reading, I think the package was downgraded to eliminate the actuation for 2018! It seems to be listed on the 17s. It is the XLT something something bit I guess it was amended. Thanx for yours help.

Well, I've finally made it up here and have had a good look underneath. I see no sensors what-so-ever; not even where they mite be located. In reading, I think the package was downgraded to eliminate the actuation for 2018! It seems to be listed on the 17s. It is the XLT something something bit I guess it was amended. Thanx for yours help.
The Power Liftgate is a $500 standalone option on the Canadian XLT. It is not part of any option package. It should be listed on the Window Sticker if you have that option.

Peter

Oh, it's power, just no foot control

Oh, it's power, just no foot control
Did some more checking in the Order Guides. The Foot Activated Power Liftgate was a new addition the 2017 XLT Technology Features bundle but it is no longer listed in the same 2018 package although it is not shown as a 'Deleted' item. Therefore I guess it is something you don't have.

Peter

Back