Hands Free Liftgate | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

InfiniteDuress

Reaction score
City, State
Bellingham Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
So I recently purchased a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport. Everything I’m reading says that I should have the kick activated rear hatch but I can’t for the life of me get it to work. I’ve looked underneath the rear bumper and I don’t see anything? (Don’t quite know what I’m looking for anyways). I have the factory installed hitch if that makes any different. If anyone can even tell me where to look for the sensors I’ll be able to go verify. Judging from my monroney label and the brochure for the 2016 I should have it based off of the 401A package. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
BDAA3FCE-CB07-4EE8-A570-DCF711A22C30.png
08AB4CB0-C640-43D4-97AE-D4E62761DC35.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Have you checked your Owner's Manual (page 66 of the 3rd print)? It will show you where the areas are to activate the hands-free liftgate.
Although the 2016 Manual doesn't mention it, the 2017 Manual says to kick between the exhaust and hitch for those equipped with the factory tow package. Also changed the thread title from "Hands Free miftage" to 'Hands Free Liftgate'. ;)

Peter

Have you checked your Owner's Manual (page 66 of the 3rd print)? It will show you where the areas are to activate the hands-free liftgate.
Although the 2016 Manual doesn't mention it, the 2017 Manual says to kick between the exhaust and hitch for those equipped with the factory tow package. Also changed the thread title from "Hands Free miftage" to 'Hands Free Liftgate'. ;)

Peter
Thought I spell checked it and everything…. Haha thank you! So I think I’ve verified that I do in fact have it. I must’ve kicked under this thing so many times my neighbors probably think I’m insane.

I'm pretty sure you also have to have the key nearby. At least that has been my experience with my '17 Sport.

I'm pretty sure you also have to have the key nearby. At least that has been my experience with my '17 Sport.
Yeah the key is nearby. I’ve tried in my pocket and on the tailgate. I’ve tried locked and unlocked. Nothing seems to work lol

On my '17, with the key in my pocket, I am able to "swipe" my foot from left-to-right, or right-to-left between the exhaust tips under the bumper and it activates.

On my '17, with the key in my pocket, I am able to "swipe" my foot from left-to-right, or right-to-left between the exhaust tips under the bumper and it activates.
Here is what your Manual says;
Move your foot under and away from
the rear bumper detection area in a
single-kick motion. Do not move your
foot sideways or the sensors may not
detect the motion. Kick between the
exhaust and hitch if your vehicle is
equipped with a hitch.

Peter

Here is what your Manual says;
Move your foot under and away from
the rear bumper detection area in a
single-kick motion. Do not move your
foot sideways or the sensors may not
detect the motion. Kick between the
exhaust and hitch if your vehicle is
equipped with a hitch.

Peter
Have my ... new to me 2018 Platinum in the shop right now for this same issue - will let you know what I find out - hopefully tomorrow.

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Have my ... new to me 2018 Platinum in the shop right now for this same issue - will let you know what I find out - hopefully tomorrow.
Word is that it is working as it is supposed to ... must be a very tricky process since 4 different people tried to open it. Do not have it back yet so will see if it in fact is working in a few days. My guess it that there was some adjustment required??

Sorry for bump up this old thread. My is a Limited from 2016. I figured out, that it have the sensor under the bumper. One sensor, approx. 1 feet long (no hitch). In the cluster the switch is already enabled but the motion sensor doesn't work. No DTCs via FORScan or UCDS. Any ideas, what's going wrong?

Sorry for bump up this old thread. My is a Limited from 2016. I figured out, that it have the sensor under the bumper. One sensor, approx. 1 feet long (no hitch). In the cluster the switch is already enabled but the motion sensor doesn't work. No DTCs via FORScan or UCDS. Any ideas, what's going wrong?
Has it ever worked? If not, are you sure you have that option? The Owner's Manual shows Hands-Free Feature (If Equipped).

Peter

Do a slow forward foot in and a slow back out of your food anywhere between under the panel covering the hitch receiver tube.

Do a slow forward foot in and a slow back out of your food anywhere between under the panel covering the hitch receiver tube.
If you are replying to NavigatorV8, he mentioned he doesn't have the tow hitch.

Peter

Thank you for trying to help me. I purchased the car 3 weeks ago. During my ownership it not worked. But I know, there ist the antenna tube and the interface under the bumper

Back