Hankook Optimo H246 warranty claim? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hankook Optimo H246 warranty claim?

1sttimeford

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited 301
Has anyone here filed a warranty claim on the Hankook Optimo H246's prematurely wearing out? If so, did you file the claim with Ford or with Hankook?

These tires have a 60,000 mile warranty. I have 30,000 miles on mine and two are at the wear indicator and the other 2 aren't far behind. I have maintained proper inflation and they have been rotated at the dealer every 5,000 miles.

I'm not too thrilled to need new tires at 50% of the stated tread life.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Find your local Hankook dealer and have them take a look at them.

If they are worn evenly (in other words not showing signs of misalignment or damage), and you have receipts from having your tires rotated, then you may qualify for a prorated amount based on mileage.

If you qualify for a credit, it generally will be towards the replacement of the tire of the same size and type. In other words, a credit towards a new set of Hankooks.

Good luck!

I'd be surprised if the ones that come as the OEM tires actually have the warranty, did you get any paperwork with your vehicle stating there's a warranty on the OEM tires?

Often manufacturers use a special version of the same tire that has less tread when used as an OEM to make it cheaper (Mazda did this a lot). Sort of like a "starter" Inkjet cartridge.

Not sure if that's the case with the Hankook's here, but I'd be interested to hear about it. We bought our 2013 Explorer used from the dealer with 12,000 miles on it and we're at 20,000 miles now and there definitely aren't another 10,000 miles left on those tires, much less 40,000 more.

My Hankooks were replaced on my 2011 Limited after about 55,000 miles. Great tire. I only replaced them slightly early because I wanted new rubber for the winter.

Has anyone here filed a warranty claim on the Hankook Optimo H246's prematurely wearing out? If so, did you file the claim with Ford or with Hankook?

These tires have a 60,000 mile warranty. I have 30,000 miles on mine and two are at the wear indicator and the other 2 aren't far behind. I have maintained proper inflation and they have been rotated at the dealer every 5,000 miles.

I'm not too thrilled to need new tires at 50% of the stated tread life.
I checked the Tire Warranty brochure that you would have received with the vehicle and can not find anything about a tread wear warranty for the Hankooks. They do have a warranty against manufacturing defects etc.
Here is what it says;

1. WHAT IS COVERED AND FOR HOW LONG
Hankook warrants that a tire manufactured by Hankook and equipped
originally on the vehicle is free from defects in materials or workmanship
in normal use for the life of the original usable tread. The life of the
original usable tread ends when the tire tread has been worn down with
only 2/32nds inch (1.6 mm) remaining, at which point the tire is
considered to be fully worn out.

Peter

On a side note, I'm getting great wear on the Michelin Lattitude HPs that came on ours (18"). I'm guessing they'll go mid-to-upper 40s.

I've got 51,000 miles on my Hancooks and I've only rotated them twice. I would replace them next month because I want more tread for the snow but will be holding off till inspection time in February as my wife will be on maternity leave till Feb.

If it was summer time, I could see getting another 8-10k out of them.

Follow-up: As stated by a couple people above, Ford and Hankook both confirmed that the OEM tires do not carry a tread life warranty (just material defect). Oh well, it was worth a try to ask.

I'd be surprised if the ones that come as the OEM tires actually have the warranty, did you get any paperwork with your vehicle stating there's a warranty on the OEM tires?

Often manufacturers use a special version of the same tire that has less tread when used as an OEM to make it cheaper (Mazda did this a lot). Sort of like a "starter" Inkjet cartridge.

Not sure if that's the case with the Hankook's here, but I'd be interested to hear about it. We bought our 2013 Explorer used from the dealer with 12,000 miles on it and we're at 20,000 miles now and there definitely aren't another 10,000 miles left on those tires, much less 40,000 more.

We had a 95 Ford Contour SE (fun car... V6 5sp manual) and my wife somehow got an open end wrench stuck in it destroying the tire at 2000 miles. It had Firestone Firehawk GTA tires. I told her to get an exact replacment because I didn't want mismatched tires on our new car. The Firestone dealer told us he had Firehawk GTA tires but they were not the same... Same look but they were better tires. Sure enough, at 30000 miles, we had 3 bald tires and one that looked like it would go another 30000.

On another note... My Hankooks look like they are holding up well at 21000.

Mine are wearing well at 42K. I've been very happy with them. What are folks shelling out for replacements?

Mine are wearing well at 42K. I've been very happy with them. What are folks shelling out for replacements?
I replaced my OEM Hankooks the same day I picked up the Ex from the dealer. The replacement tires were 255/50R20 Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires. Cost was $317 (CDN) per tire for a total of $1268. That was in March 2011.

Peter

Back