• Register Today It's free!

Harbor freight jack stand RECALL

Big_Pezzy

Reaction score
City, State
San Bernardino CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Not sure where I can post this (Moderators please move this if needed) but it seems pretty important since I know theres alot of DIY guys here so im sure there are others who may find this useful. A pair of my own jackstands are part of this recall :/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Took mine back yesterday and they gave me credit on an gift card. Problem is, there's not enough depth on the pawls to hold the vehicle so if you move it just a little off center it can loose it's grasp and the jack will fall back to it's starting position. Not good if you're the one under that 5000lb vehicle.

Buy real quality jacks, and jack stands. A broken wrench might break your knuckles, a failed jack, or cheesy “steel” Chinese jack stand will kill you if it fails.

Safety devices have no place at harbor freight.

I own a Harbor Freight floor jack. It has been perfect. However, I own name brand jack stands. The difference is that I will crawl under a vehicle on jack stands, I won't crawl under a vehicle on a jack, and there is no way in hell I'd do it under a HF jack. Choose life.

This reminds me, I wonder how that lawsuit against Sears is going for selling faulty jack stands that crushed someone?

I'm not sure where quality comes in these days since everything is made in China.

China is more than capable of making top quality goods.

Then why don't they.

Then why don't they.
Simple, they don't have to. The government has regulated manufacturing out of this country and no one here is willing to work for less than the kids making the stuff in China.

Then why don't they.
Are you even serious? They do. They make TONS of high end goods. The best TVs in the world? China. Phones? China. Every consumer electronic? China. Prescription drugs? China.

They also make cheap junk. Why? Because we’re cheap and don’t want to spend money on nice things. They only supply what we demand. If you were willing to buy a $6,500 TV they could be made here. Want a 65” for $400, guess where it has to come from.

Sure China makes good products but how often do they make here to America. Take the Apple iphone, they had a problem with them catching fire. I bought two Alternators made in China and they both lasted less than a year. At $130 each I wouldn't say they were cheap. Sure they could make them better but then corporate America and their Investors and Stockholders would lose money by charging more. Sadly, heavy manufacturing is dead in America.

They make it here daily, by the millions.

So a minuscule amount of iPhones had issues? Big deal. They’ve sold billions. They’d have had the same amount of issues if they were built here. Except they’d cost $5000.

Plenty of US built cars have safety recalls every year.

SOme stuff "MADE IN CHINA" is junk, I have experienced this first hand, and some stuff "MADE IN CHINA" is actually not that bad, for example, I bought a HITACHI compound mitre saw for $99 to replace my 20 year old DELTA that was stolen out of my garage. After using the saw on several projects so far it has been perfect right out of the box, the blade is perfectly plum and cuts perfect 45 degree angles, is smooth and sturdy, has a handle on top just to carry, it's no commercial use saw, but far better quality then expected.
For example, I had a DELTA bench top drill press "MADE IN CHINA", I got so mad at it because the bearing for the bit chuck was loose from the beginning, and would not drill a hole with out wobbling all over the place making it impossible to drill a round whole. I got so mad I threw it on the concrete and smashed it to pieces!
The term "quality" in Asia has different meaning than it does in the west. The effort that Chinese put forth to build "stuff" goes far deeper than just cheap labor and high production. I lived and worked in Taiwan R.O.C., in the city of Taichung for three months in 1992 on the AIRFORCE base, my job is classified, but what I saw in how they "build" anything for that matter gave me new understanding to why my "MADE IN TAIWAN" sockets always end up breaking, and that is the tip, of the tip of the ice berg!

Cheeeez and Rice! Ouch!

Stupid me was pushing down by hand on my 6 tons and tried the youtubes stunts and crap! My expletive finger got under the stupid thing and almost chopped it off! Fraaawwwwwg that hurts!

Edit, you know, those ones that about 10 of us members have been using around here and all that......older ones have this problem.

Took my gift card and bought me this. Used it Sunday and so far I'm impressed. Nice rubber handles, smooth operation and battery life was three hours.

Chinese factories often build to the specs and desires of the entity that ordered the product. Of course they can make high quality items. Of course investors seek to maximize profits when there is no brand name affiliation or damage to an earned reputation. Good luck going after the Chinese factory or the foreigner who ordered the cut rate merchandise - in most cases.

That was the great thing about big names that lasted for decades. They didn't like putting their names on junk. Some of us remember a lot of lifetime transferable warranties. Yesterday I was offered a three day warranty - on tires! I walked on that.

Took my gift card and bought me this. Used it Sunday and so far I'm impressed. Nice rubber handles, smooth operation and battery life was three hours.

Thats the thing about Harbor Freight. Most of the stuff is good to OK. But they have sold a LOT of junk. I watch ProjectFarm on youtube. A lot of their products are bad. A lot are fine.

So far it seems like Japanese and European products seem to fare the best.

I do agree, Harbor Freight products are getting better especially their ICON and Bauer products. So far, I'm really impressed with their Brauer line.

Back