• Register Today It's free!

Hard cold start

Jeffdavid123

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have a 2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer v6 vin E that has been having problems when first starting up. It started during the winter when it would get below 30F but has continued into the spring months. When I try and start it one of three things will happen: It will start and immediately rev up to about 2000rpm then very quickly drop to about 300-400rpm then just die, or it will do the same thing but instead of dying once it hits 300-400rpm it will just shake badly for a few seconds like it's going to stall then shoot up to 1200rpm and stay there until the engine is warm, or if the engine isn't completely cold it will first rev up to 2000 rpm then quickly settle to 1200 rpm until it is fully warm where it idles around 700rpm (where it should settle right away). In the first scenario where it dies, it becomes incredibly hard to start after turning the key off. I will hear it trying to turn over and cranking but nothing unless I hold the key down for about 20 seconds in which case sometimes it will shake a bit and eventually come back to life. Soon after this happened I was getting CEL for system too lean on bank 1 and 2
I have recently replaced the MAF, PCV valve, put in a new battery, a new fuel pump and fuel filter which got rid of the CEL, then fixed the lower thermostat housing as it was leaking coolant pretty badly, had the IAC and throttle body cleaned, then had all of my spark plugs and wires changed out and eventually the IAC replaced and then cleaned the EGR valve. This was all done over three trips to two different mechanics. The weird thing was after every time I took it to a shop it would start fine cold after having the work done, but then the problem would resurface after a few days. I don't have any vacuum leaks and the CEL just came back on with system too lean on bank one (no longer bank one and two) after getting the plugs/wires/IAC replaced. I've tried using fuel injector cleaner and am going to try HEET gas line cleaner to get out any water in my lines/tank, but I have a feeling that isn't going to solve it.
If I give it some gas after I first start it up before it can die and let it warm up a bit it will usually still drop in rpms to the 400 range and the shoot back up, but it wont die. After it settles to its normal idle speed it doesn't idle rough or even drive rough, its actually pretty smooth from all of the work I just put in, its just this problem with starting it up. The MPG in the city is still down a bit but highway is roughly the same.
I've read it could be a leak in the Intake Manifold Gaskets but both mechanics I took it too said they could find any vacuum leaks. Im not super car savvy but know a bit and can do basic stuff like changing the MAF, but am totally out of ideas of what could be going on and don't want to hand it over to a mechanic so they can keep it a week and throw money at it hoping to fix it. Anyone have any help for me? Thanks in advance

Yeah, that cold start issue is a pretty solid indicator of bad intake manifold gaskets...

Dear Ronev,

See if the following synopsis of temperature dependent engine conditions pertain to your vehicle:

COLD START – ENGINE NOT OPERATED OVERNIGHT – 40 DEGREE AMBIENT:

Upon cranking engine starts right up and the idle jumps to about 2K. Then it starts idling back to about 500 rpm then it jumps down to about 300 rpm and almost dies and then it settles down to a rough idle. This process lasts approx 15-30 seconds.

COLD START – ENGINE NOT OPERATED OVERNIGHT – 30 DEGREE AMBIENT:

Upon cranking engine starts right up and the idle jumps to about 2K. Then it starts idling back to about 500 rpm then it jumps down to about 300 rpm and almost dies and then it returns to about 2K and the cycle then repeats. This process lasts approx 2 to 3 minutes before settling down to a rough idle.

COLD START – ENGINE NOT OPERATED OVERNIGHT – 20 DEGREE AMBIENT:

Upon cranking engine starts right up and the idle jumps to about 2K. Then it starts idling back to about 500 rpm then it jumps down to about 300 rpm and almost dies. At this ambient temperature the engine acts like it is running on 4 cylinders; it sounds like a Harley V-Twin and the truck shakes violently (approximately 4 to 6 inches of side to side movement measured at the roof). It returns to about 2K and the cycle then repeats. This process lasts approx 10 to 15 minutes before settling down to a rough idle.

WARM START – ENGINE OPERATED WITHIN LAST 2 TO 3 HOURS – ANY DEGREE AMBIENT.

ALSO - COLD START – ENGINE NOT OPERATED OVERNIGHT – ANY TEMPERATURE ABOVE APPROXIMATELY 40 DEGREE AMBIENT:

Occasional extended cranking to start. Rough idle.

If any of the above sounds familiar you can tend towards the lower intake o-rings leaking. As to your recent issue of an idling issue once engine has reached normal operating range; i would respectfully suggest repair of the original fault condition (o-rings change out) before pursuing and further troubleshooting in this area. Is it possible for the o-rings cause complete idle failure? Yes. Likely? No.

To ensure your sense of humor remains: I recently stumpled upon a rather interesting diagnosis by a Ford Dealership (read "group of male reproductive genitalia") upon an "x', with 56k onboard and similar symptoms to yours and the above. The above captioned "group" decided the customer may best be "serviced" with a mere $700 being invested with them, for a work scope that included intake manifolds removal (as with o-rings change out), allowing them access to the rear side of the intake valves, of which they were to clean. Apparently, according to their diagnosis, the rear side of the intake valves were "choked" with carbon build up. Said build-up was responsible for soaking-up such voluminous quanties of fuel/air mixture that engine supply deprivation was the route cause of all ills.

Anyway, change your o-rings and check out your IAC isn't sticking (soak the mechanical mechanism in carb cleaner (ensure the cylindrical shaped solenoid is not).

Back