Hard core Aerostar. Real 4x4.

Icuff4cash

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 aerostar awd
I been texting back and forth with a member on ranger station who built a monster Aerostar he drives it everyday and has 300,000 miles on this beast. I been picking Brooklyns brain how's this for a start.
93 AEROSTAR 4.0 NP435 8.8 w/4.11 Dana 44 sas locked f&r 22" lift 35 claws and a warren 8000 all.
Now for santas shopping list
Dana 44 out of a78/79 f150-bronco
8.8 rear out of 80 f150
BW doubler 1350 and Transfer case.
Shifter went were e brake lever was
Transfer case shifter just ahead of driver seat.
Only change was Aerostar has ps pump for rack pinion had to change pump
Used explorer steering box with custom mount,
Only problem the 35 tires distroyed r gear.
His recamend build if he was to build a new van only use the 1350 manual transfer case. Small lift and trim the fenders and run larger tires that fit 235? +.
This member has been very helpfull with ideas and vision. He drives this monster and now has 300,000 miles on it he paid on $150.00 for the van before surgery.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Found this pic on Internet looks good I resized it I don't know if it will post

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.6 KB · Views: 2,882

That IS a beast of an Aerostar! LOL! don-ohio :)^)

You notice the front and back bumper removed. Stock suspension with a lift. But the back bumper with the swing away tire like on a jeep. This just confirms my thoughts that an Aerostar can be a better kombi than a vw

I admire someone who can take a pile of parts and build a masterpiece. With that much lift a 302 or 351 would motivate the van so much easier.

i still say it would be easier to put the aerostar body on a four wheel drive frame.that way you could build in the ground clearance you think you need.plus its already v8 four wheel drive.

The body is welded to the frame. In 1973 when I was 17 I bolted a 67 chevelle 2 dr station wagon on a pre 66 Chevy panel truck. It was cool I didn't have an el camano like my buddies but a 4x4 station wagon we put down a lot of buds back then. The frame on the Aerostar is a square box no hump like a truck. How we did it when I was a kid we had old motor manuals back then they had photos of grill and bumpers and you learned how to id cars that way. Anyway they books has side shots and measurement of the wheelbase center dusk cap to dusk cap then you found a truck frame the same. But back then gm cars except Vegas nova camaro corvair all were sub frames so matching a chevelle Impala was easy. After chatting with members from other Aerostar forum sites it's not that hard if you kept up with wrenching. I'm sick and weak so it's hard for me. Engine swaps are the problem. You might not be able to reg your car or get it inspection ready. I was watching overhaul last month they had an 85 el camano and while fixing it chip foose explained in California the only gm engine you could use in an 85 plus car is a gm crate e rod motor because of the epa. So if the Aerostar didn't offer a 5.0 stang engine you could be hammered at dmv. Then frame trucks have vin tags on frame. 99 f150 front diff or bronco change the ps pump because Aerostar is rack and pinion and a f150 rear your done. You need a welder to weld axle hangers. I've been in contact with someone who has done it. My Aerostar is 99.9 percent rust free my paint is chalked so I might rapture spray it come July. I got to scrape up about $350. To shoot in.

I finally found a set of Aerostar manual pedals and the top case for the MOD 5 speed.Aerostar ones had the shifter in a different spot.I am going to try to do the swap with a explorer 5 speed and manual tcase.I have a F150 8.8 with springs to go in the rear.And a dana 44 front with wrangler springs for the front.Just have to finish my drawings for the laser cutter.And have my brackets cut.Hope to have everything ready to start by May 1st.

I finally found a set of Aerostar manual pedals and the top case for the MOD 5 speed.Aerostar ones had the shifter in a different spot.I am going to try to do the swap with a explorer 5 speed and manual tcase.I have a F150 8.8 with springs to go in the rear.And a dana 44 front with wrangler springs for the front.Just have to finish my drawings for the laser cutter.And have my brackets cut.Hope to have everything ready to start by May 1st.
The M5OD is an easy bolt in install. Leafs would be interesting, I'd like to see pictures of the progress.

The M5OD is an easy bolt in install. Leafs would be interesting, I'd like to see pictures of the progress.
The guy he was talking to on the rangerstation used F150 leafs in the rear.

Back