• Register Today It's free!

Hard spots in steering

mittelmeier

Reaction score
City, State
Kane,Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I have a 96 ex with the 5.0 AWD and when it's cold and I make a turn I have hard spots. It's a lot worse when I turn to the left. I put some of the Lucas power steering stuff in and the hard spots when away but the pump was whining, I think it was whining all along though. I changed the pump and the whine went away but the hard spots are still there. I'm thinking I need a Rack and Pinion but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem or knows what could have caused it. I'm wondering if the previous owner may have put power steering fluid in instead of atf and messed the whole system up. If I change the rack I'll change the hoses and flush the new pump out. Thanks for the advice.

ha! thats alot of work. I mean alot! I would throughly check your intermediate shaft before you start in on the rack. Pull the intermediate shaft, put one end in a vice and twist the other with a wrench. Check the u joint throughly, the ones one your model are more exposed to the elements and can get rusty easily.

Back