Hard Start after Fuel Pump replacement | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hard Start after Fuel Pump replacement

Dude did you check your plugs or replace them recently like I said? I have the same problem like every couple few months and I replace my plugs and its fine again. I've used the autolite platinums for years but I am done with them now so tried a new brand the other day.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The CEL is off. only drove about 20 miles so far.

Well, the check engine light is back on. Same codes as before - P0171 & P0174. Running exactly like it did when I got it back last time.

Dude did you check your plugs or replace them recently like I said? I have the same problem like every couple few months and I replace my plugs and its fine again. I've used the autolite platinums for years but I am done with them now so tried a new brand the other day.

The previous owner stated he changed plugs and wires before I bought it. The wires look brand new.

Had same problem; P0171 and P0174;Low fuel pressure: only 17 psi and it should be 60-70 psi; changed pump still got only 17 psi. Took down the tank (again) and put the gauge directly on the output pipe. Still only 17 psi. I extracted all the bolts holding the pump assembly and fed 12 V to the black and red wires in the harness. With a flashlight peering in, I lifted the assembly just enough to see the top of the actual pump and I saw that the regulator was spewing fuel from fatigue cracks all over the black plastic housing. These cracks were microscopic and virtually impossible to detect without it actually running. (This can be very dangerous especially if you're a smoker, duh) Voila I found the problem. Now how can I get a regulator/housing without buying the whole assembly? I don't need a pump. So I looked at the regulator and saw that the regulator (not its housing) itself will last forever, it's just that cheap plastic housing that's bad. The pull-it yard I went to had a few explorers but all 3 that still had a tank had tanks that were inaccessible--no wheels, laying on mud, and no they ain't gonna topple the car for a regulator. So I made a housing out of copper pipe and brass fittings and a propane soldering job. 62 psi! Now, it'll last forever.

Back