• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Hard to find answers 2017 PIU

Gabeodog

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer PIU
Hey Gang,

First time poster here, I have a few questions if you guy's don't mind. I have looked and read and done searches but I cannot find what I am looking for.

I know these have been answered in the past but i'll give it a shot, Please be kind..
I have a 2017 PIU (non Sync)
No Sirius button on center console.
no auto lights.
No Aux line in.

I have bought a new CD head unit (eBay used) that has the yellow plug as well.
I have purchased the auto headlamp selector Switch to replace old non Auto.
I have purchased the antenna extender to the kick panel for sirius.
I have purchased the Sun load sensor for the center of the dash for Autolamp.
And finally, the "hood closed switch ".
And I am A 0k with forscan (purchased as well)

So Here Are the questions.

Can I swap Head unit out to have the ability for sirius (I know its a subscription)?
Can I ad AUX in? Sure there is a kit out there. Just don't Know.
And With the purchased items can i have automatic headlight?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3

VCFP153

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ormond Beach FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 PIU
And With the purchased items can i have automatic headlight?

It appears that auto headlights require BCM modification in order to work even with those parts. I did exactly what you did, and now with the switch in "auto" position, the lights come on any time ignition is on, so sort of like DRLs + taillights. My dealer assigned one of their best techs to try to reprogram to get auto headlights to work, but was unsuccessful. It appears that the sun load sensor harness is in there, but needs to be plugged into the BCM. That said, mine is an early 2017, your mileage may vary.

BrettS.

Reaction score
City, State
Toledo, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU EB
On my 14 I had to run wiring from the sun load sensor to the BCM. Switch was plug and play to swap out. Then had to program BCM with forscan to make it work.

Gabeodog

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer PIU
It appears that auto headlights require BCM modification in order to work even with those parts. I did exactly what you did, and now with the switch in "auto" position, the lights come on any time ignition is on, so sort of like DRLs + taillights. My dealer assigned one of their best techs to try to reprogram to get auto headlights to work, but was unsuccessful. It appears that the sun load sensor harness is in there, but needs to be plugged into the BCM. That said, mine is an early 2017, your mileage may vary.
Thanks for the info

Hallandry

Reaction score
City, State
Aurora, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017, Explorer, PIU
I added auto headlights and they work fine. Install sensor, change switch, enable with forscan.

Ten minutes work on my 2017 piu.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
I added auto headlights and they work fine. Install sensor, change switch, enable with forscan.

Do you happen to have what all you changed with FORscan?

@Gabeodog great amount of info in an easy to follow format. Great way to ask for help.

Hallandry

Reaction score
City, State
Aurora, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017, Explorer, PIU
Check out the forscan thread in this forum

bmrrwolfe

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Interceptor

Just curious as I am about to do the same (once I learn a little more on the Forscan and play around with it) Was the wiring already there for the sensor? Any chance you know any details on adding fog-lights? I bought a new headlight switch that has the Foglight button, but haven't seen much discussion on the wiring to add them, using the factory button. ( know I could always wire to aftermarket switch, but want to keep the clean OEM look.

bill32399

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
15' Explorer PIU
Do you happen to have what all you changed with FORscan?

@Gabeodog great amount of info in an easy to follow format. Great way to ask for help.

Don't use the "As built" in the BCM. Use the option below it and it will show you all the selections you need to change.