• Register Today It's free!

Hard wiring a radar detector

mjamesb80

Reaction score
City, State
Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
I bought a hard wiring kit for my radar detector.
There is a ground wire and a power wire.
The wiring has a fuse already attached.

I don't understand what to do with the power wire.
It has a metal end with a hole in it.

I'll include a picture:

photo_3.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok... if you don't understand this you should definitely NOt be doing wiring....

The positive is a "male spade" it would link nicely with this product

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADD-ON-ATM-...aultDomain_0&hash=item43aef09ee8#ht_972wt_905

and then find a fuse in your fuse box that was "key on only" but unfortunately, I think that's out of your comfort zone.

autozone/advanced/o'reilly will have the mini-fuse taps...

Rob

Ha! thanks...i think

I bought a hard wiring kit for my radar detector. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Do yourself a favor and get rid of that radar detector and slow down a bit. Most cops I know, and trust me, I know a lot of them from various agencies(not from tickets or anything illegal), will definately give you a speeding ticket if they see that thing in your car after they have pulled you over. A cop just seeing the detector will piss them off and they won't even think about giving you a break on a ticket. They hate seeing those things in peoples cars. Also, most cops on speed traps these days, don't turn on their radar guns until it is too late for you to slow down and your detector goes off. They wait until you are in close visual range and then they turn on the radar gun. You are busted! Your detector will be useless in those instances. FYI, most state troopers I know, will give you 6-8 mph over the speed limit cushion on a state 65mph highway without ticketing you, sometimes even 10 mph over. Small town cops on county roads, have a less of a tolerance with speeders, no more than 5 mph over the speed limit. Plus small towns rely on the money speeding tickets generate, so they tend to be more aggressive giving out speeding tickets. Big city cops usually won't pull you over for speeding unless it is way over the speed limit. They are too busy with bigger crimes to bother with a simple speeder. Just some food for thought! Happy Motoring! :D

I've heard all that before. So far my experience with the detector has been very good. Thanks

Do yourself a favor and get rid of that radar detector and slow down a bit.

Never ceases to amaze me how people think it's important to respond to someone's question w/ an answer that doesn't relate to the actual question.

FYI: There are many reasons to have a radar detector that don't include speeding. Radar detectors can warn you of upcoming hazards, train crossings, when police may have a roadway blocked, etc... It's asinine to respond to the OP's question w/ this answer.

On top of that, I've been using radar detectors for the last decade, have been stopped for numerous things, ALWAYS drive 10mph over the speed limit on the freeway, etc.... the only ticket I have been given in the last decade was for not displaying my updated tags on my license plate, and not displaying a front license plate. Cops aren't that rigid about radar detectors, especially since most departments are moving to laser for speed trapping anyway.

Now that my rant is over, for the OP, I agree w/ other posters, if you aren't familiar with the spade on the end of that wire, You probably should have someone who is familiar do the wiring for you. It should be a 15 minute job, and shouldn't cost much.

Never ceases to amaze me how people think it's important to respond to someone's question w/ an answer that doesn't relate to the actual question.>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Never heard of helpful advice? BTW, you better check the majority of posts in here, many of them have comments left that are off topic.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>FYI: There are many reasons to have a radar detector that don't include speeding. Radar detectors can warn you of upcoming hazards, train crossings, when police may have a roadway blocked, etc... It's asinine to respond to the OP's question w/ this answer.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Nice try, doesn't fly with me! Piss poor excuses for having a radar detector. It's "assinine" to use these types of excuses for using a radar detector that was designed soley for avoiding police radar patrols or breaking the traffic laws. Updated: BTW, you stick with those excuses as to why you have a radar detector in your car next time a cop pulls you over for speeding and he or she sees you using that thing in your vehicle. See if you weasel your way out of a ticket.

>>>>>>>>>>>>On top of that, I've been using radar detectors for the last decade>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No surprise there, knew that even before I even got to this part of your comment.

>>>>>>>>, have been stopped for numerous things,>>>>>>>>

No surprise there!

>>>>>>>ALWAYS drive 10mph over the speed limit on the freeway, etc....>>>

Why I am I not surprised here?!

>>>>>>>>>> Cops aren't that rigid about radar detectors, especially since most departments are moving to laser for speed trapping anyway>>>>>>>>>

Then you don't personally know many cops, I do! You only know the ones that happened to stop you by chance for a driving infraction or a vehicle issue. Then again you said you have been stopped "numerous times", so maybe you know a few cops personally by now. Maybe they are on a first name basis with you by now. ;) Cops do not like to see drivers using radar detectors and if they see it in your car after they pull you over, they will most likely ticket you for speeding, rather than cut you a break on a ticket just like I previously said. I know this from talking to them. BTW, the OP said he knew about the tips I gave him, so he has heard of the same things.

Bad morning Ex?? I think a dose of live and let live is in order here.

Bad morning Ex?? I think a dose of live and let live is in order here.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Nah, good morning actually, but afternoon here! I was kind of thinking someone else was having a bad morning when they looked into his stash of medical marijiuana and noticed it was empty. :D "Live and let live" is my new motto! ;)

Never heard of helpful advice? BTW, you better check the majority of posts in here, many of them have comments left that are off topic.

Off topic is one thing, anti-topic is a waste of time

Nice try, doesn't fly with me! Piss poor excuses for having a radar detector. It's "assinine" to use these types of excuses for using a radar detector that was designed soley for avoiding police radar patrols or breaking the traffic laws. Updated: BTW, you stick with those excuses as to why you have a radar detector in your car next time a cop pulls you over for speeding and he or she sees you using that thing in your vehicle. See if you weasel your way out of a ticket.

I've had discussions at length with police officers about radar detectors. I can also tell you that undeniably they are great for WARNING you of oncoming incidents, and that CHP in southern california will purposely turn on their integrated Ka radar when blocking a roadway, overseeing an accident scene, etc, in order to alert those using radar detectors. This from the mouth of CHP officers directly.

No surprise there!

May not be any surprise there, but you ignored the fact that I've never been given a ticket for speeding in that time, and I've never gotten any negative comments about the fact I display a radar detector prominently on the top of my windshield.

Then you don't personally know many cops, I do! You only know the ones that happened to stop you by chance for a driving infraction or a vehicle issue. Then again you said you have been stopped "numerous times", so maybe you know a few cops personally by now. Maybe they are on a first name basis with you by now. ;) Cops do not like to see drivers using radar detectors and if they see it in your car after they pull you over, they will most likely ticket you for speeding, rather than cut you a break on a ticket just like I previously said. I know this from talking to them.

My family is FULL of police officer's in all departments in multiple states. I've also had discussions with them at length about their opinion on radar detectors. The answer they unanimously respond with is "detectors aren't illegal, speeding is, if you aren't breaking the law, then I have no issue with them". This "cops will target you if you use a detector" is bull, unless you live in VA or DC where they are illegal.

BTW, the OP said he knew about the tips I gave him, so he has heard of the same things.

And did you think he wasn't aware of these tips before you posted? Anybody who uses a radar detector knows its uses, and also has a license, therefor knows the laws that govern our driving. For you to think your condescending post was helping the OP with his original question makes you asinine as described before.

Unless you are a police officer, and it is your personal opinion that if someone uses a radar detector you will enforce the laws differently from someone who doesn't, no one here cares what you have to say about why or why not they should use one themselves.

If you are a law enforcement officer then you are corrupt and irresponsible for enforcing the law differently based on someone who is not violating any laws, and is actually using a device that promotes safety and awareness.

Off topic is one thing, anti-topic is a waste of time>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Then don't waste your time or respond to posts you aren't happy with!

>>>>>>>>, and that CHP in southern california will purposely turn on their integrated Ka radar when blocking a roadway, overseeing an accident scene, etc, in order to alert those using radar detectors. >>>>>>>>>>>>

This means nothing and the emergency warning is only good for those using radar detectors. The manufacturers of radar detectors built those "work zone/emergency" features into them to get around states that wanted to bad radar detectors whose sole purpose is to aid drivers in avoiding speeding tickets. No cop in the world is going to give you a pat on the back for using a radar detector because you tell them you use it to aid in knowing when an emergency is on the roadway. They know you have it for the purpose of breaking the law and avoiding their speeding tickets.

>>>>>>>>>May not be any surprise there, but you ignored the fact that I've never been given a ticket for speeding in that time, and I've never gotten any negative comments about the fact I display a radar detector prominently on the top of my windshield. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I didn't ignore anything nor do I know if you were ever given a speeding other than your say so, but to actually believe someone who professes to use a radar detector in their vehicle on a daily basis and "always speeds 10 mph above on highways" proves one thing to me, you do a lot of speeding! So to think you haven't gotten a speeding ticket in your day or take your word as gold would be foolish on my part. What may have saved you from speeding tickets is the family cops names(see below) you threw out there to the cop who pulled you over and that saved your a$$ from those speeding tickets! I'm retired from law enforcement, I know how the game is played!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I've also had discussions with them at length about their opinion on radar detectors. The answer they unanimously respond with is "detectors aren't illegal, speeding is, if you aren't breaking the law, then I have no issue with them". This "cops will target you if you use a detector" is bull, unless you live in VA or DC where they are illegal.>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In one sentence you say radar detectors aren't illegal and the next you say they are in two states. Make up your mind. I also never said radar detectors were illegal, just that using one will keep you from getting a break on a speeding ticket if the cop sees it in your vehicle. When a cop that pulls you over for speeding and sees that you are using a radar detector to help break the law, they know you are a chronic speeder and a danger to the roadways. This is why it ticks them off to see someone using one. What part of that don't you understand? Not only do I know this from about the 300( family and friends) cops I know in my area, I know this from getting pulled over 30 years ago by a cop for speeding and I had one in my vehicle. The first thing the cop yelled at me was, "what the F are you doing with that thing, pointing to the radar detector". I told him politely, trying to avoid you, and he wrote me up for speeding and said get that f'ing thing out of your car. I learned the hard way!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>And did you think he wasn't aware of these tips before you posted? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

How would I possibly know if he did? I'm not the Amazing Kreskin like you. The guy didn't even know the difference between a male and female electrical connector and I'm suppose to think he knew all that I told him? Get a clue my man.

>>>>>>>>>>>Anybody who uses a radar detector knows its uses, and also has a license, therefor knows the laws that govern our driving.>>>>>>>>>>>

Total BS! You think every driver out there knows every last vehicle and traffic law? Pardon me while I :D You don't, thats why you use a radar detector to help you break the law.

>>>>>>>>>>>For you to think your condescending post was helping the OP with his original question makes you asinine as described before.>>>>>>>>>>>

What is assinine is the way you think and my post wasn't condescending. You just need some toughing up kid.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> no one here cares what you have to say about why or why not they should use one themselves. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thats not for you to say! Who died and made you Wizard of the forum? He responded to the post and I'm fine with his response. You need to mind your business if you don't like the way someone responds to anothers post. When you run and control the forum, then you can tell other people what to post.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>If you are a law enforcement officer then you are corrupt and irresponsible for enforcing the law differently based on someone who is not violating any laws, and is actually using a device that promotes safety and awareness>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Layoff the medical marijiuana young man, you are getting burned out. You admit you speed all the time, which means you break the law dangerously and chronically, yet you cover that up by claiming to use a legal in your state, radar detector to aid you in speeding by saying it also helps me avoid work zones or roadway emergencies. No wonder California is a train wreck of a state! BTW, I'm done with you, said my piece and I was asked by a true forum Wizard ;), to :Live and Let Live", but in your "speeders" case, I'll make it "Live and Let Die"! Slow down son!

The OP might want to start another thread on actually "wiring in" his radar detector, since this one has obviously turned into a poll on whether you should have one or not.

beatdeadhorse5.gif

beatdeadhorse5.gif

15egp5jpg.gif
:thumbdwn:

Back