• Register Today It's free!

Harmonic Balancer Options???

gtgolfhack

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I am going to be putting a 347 shortblock in my 97 Explorer soon. Does anyone know of any harmonic balancers that will work with the Explorer distributorless ignition system?? I don't want to reuse the stock balancer, and I was hoping to have my rotating assembly (and balancer & flexplate) at the machine shop to be balanced by the end of the week.

Suggestions for a cam are welcome also......2WD 97 Explorer, Ford X302 heads, Powerdyne 6 psi supercharger kit. Not wanting a race truck, just a strong daily driver...

Any leads or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ray

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I suspect the Mustang enthusiasts might also have some suggestions- have you also tried their sites?

Cross-posting = bad, mmkay?

sorry about the cross-posting....I'm a message board newbie.....forgive my lack of etiquette.

performancenut.....did the Mustangs ever have the 5.0 and distributorless ignition?...I don't think so, but I'll post the questions on a couple boards I know of...thanks

Although I did not own one, Ford produced the distributorless ignition system generally in 1996 and 1997. My 1997 Police Interceptor has a 4.6 with a DIS, and the 1997 Explorer obviously has DIS but with a 5.0. Possibly Cary Mustangs would know; might try calling Holcomb Motorsports.

Back