Harmonic Balancer removal/replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Harmonic Balancer removal/replacement

Eltigre006

Reaction score
City, State
Lafayette, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer 4-6 4.0
Full disclosure up front. I have never worked on cars before... this is probably the 2nd repair I have done. Hopefully I don't say anything too stupid.

I am working on an '08 explorer with a V-6. I got the harmonic balancer puller assembly attached and it appears centered. I have also left the crank bolt in to push against. When I turn the center bolt the whole harmonic balancer turns. Is this a problem everyone has or am I doing something wrong? I have been trying to figure out how to brace or lock it but this doesn't seem to be an issue people talk about.

(Changing the harmonic balancer because inside there appears to be a large metal cylinder that is inside it, loose, and clanking around. Cylinder does not appear to be part of the replacement harmonic balancer.)

Almost positive you need to remove the crank bolt because of the washer. The puller should have an adapter with a point that fits inside the crank snout and will be what pushes against the crank to help force off the balancer. As far as the moving, I've always had success leaving the serpentine belt on, which helps stop rotation, not by much, but enough to get it loose. But I think you're fighting against yourself with leaving the bolt in.

The puller should have an adapter with a point that fits inside the crank snout and will be what pushes against the crank to help force off the balancer.

Or remove center bolt that holds balancer in and replace the a smaller head bolt that just fits the O.D. of the crank but does not go past it.

You are just looking for something to push off of with out damaging the inside threads of the crank.

As for preventing rotation of crank? Remove starter and use a large pry bar as a blocker between the ring gear and the transmission case.

Works for me.

When using the puller tool. Tighten center push bolt firmly, give the end of the push bolt a few raps with a hammer and tighten again. Repeating the process several times. The shock effect of hitting the push bolt will help the balancer "Walk" off.

Change the front seal while you have the balancer out. Wet the new seal with motor oil before putting the balancer back on.

Back