• Register Today It's free!

Harmonic Balancer???

Black_Sport

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Sport Trac
Ok guys n gals I just got a 02 ford explorer sport 4x4 with 60k miles. It had a squeek and I got a deal so it's no big deal. However I need to figure it out.

I replaced the belt tensioner and it began to squeek even more. I had lubricated the pulleys and it still squeeked.

I got under the car and sprayed wd40 on the crankshaft pulley and if you soak it then it stops for about 15 seconds. I have tightened it down to make sure it wasnt loose. I also looked for it to wobble and it's not.

The only thing I haven't done is take the belt off and check for slack in the pulley itself and that's because it's dark outside.

Any ideas? How hard would it be to replace the Harmonic Balancer. I got quoted $80 for the part. I would need to get the pulley removal tool n stuff.

Just need some import or wisdom if this can be fixed with a new one or what I need to do!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First you need to remove the serpentine belt and run the truck and see if the sound is gone. This will tell you f it is pulley related.

I seriously doubt that the balancer is in need of replacement.

Good luck ....

I'm new to the area of the serpentine belt. So will all the pulleys still turn even without the belt?

well if i lubricate the harmonic balancer the noise goes away for about a minute. I'm hoping it's the belt itself.

Also it seemed that cam sensor was related to V8s is that right? I have a v6 sohc

well if i lubricate the harmonic balancer the noise goes away for about a minute. I'm hoping it's the belt itself.

Also it seemed that cam sensor was related to V8s is that right? I have a v6 sohc

They squeak in V6's also

I'm new to the area of the serpentine belt. So will all the pulleys still turn even without the belt?

None of the pulleys will turn w/o the belt. That is how you determine if the sound is pulley related.

makes sense. Then if the sound is gone then it is pulley related and I need to turn them by hand. But what if it was the belt rubbing that caused the squeek then that test wouldn't show it right?

took of the belt squeek is gone. The harmonic balancer didn't squeak when the truck was on so that's good.

I hand turned all the pulleys and the only one that squeaks is the alternator.

Any ideas? Do I need to replace it or can it be rebuilt?

The most common culprit is either the tensioner or the idler pulley. How old are yours?

could be the bearings in the alternator,, they usually sqeak just before the bearing seizes,, usually taking the belt with it,,

if the bearing does seize and the belt goes,, don't run the engine for long, as the belt also turns the water pump, going any distance will overheat the engine, and maybe it will seize as well , not good,,
maybe go by an autozone and ask them to look ,,

i changed the belt tensioner yesterday so that's not it. The only thing that makes a squeak is the alt. However that doesn't make sense if when i sprayed the crank with wd40 it would stop for a second. Maybe the wd40 got the belt or something. The squeak on the alt isn't that loud by hand. Would pressure make it even louder or does it running make it louder?

How old is your idler puller?

I woud swap the belt for a new onw ( I recommnd Goodyear Gatorback belts ).

I got a goodyear gatorback belt and a new alternator and it purrs like money. Thanks for the help guys I learned alot and my beauty is running smooth.

I also just replaced one rotor and all the brake pads. Only thing left to do before my new ride is where i need it is to balance the tires. It shakes a little and you can tell the tires r brand new!

Since you are going to have your tires off for balancing, flush out your brake lines with new fluid.

Back