Harsh Downshifting around 25 MPH -> 2010 Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Harsh Downshifting around 25 MPH -> 2010 Explorer XLT

Stack15

Reaction score
City, State
Macon, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello all!

I have a 2010 Ford Explorer XLT and it recently reached 120k miles. For about the last 6k miles or so I have had a downshifting problem that has been getting progressively worse.

When slowing down - about when I get to 20-25mph, the vehicle lurches a little and it feels like I have been tapped from behind. There is a faint thud type of a noise but nothing loud. I can feel a thud on the brake pedal and it really feels like a very soft tap from the vehicle behind me. This happens probably 50% of the time and shifts perfectly the other 50%. It's more likely to happen as the vehicle warms up and less likely to happen first thing in the morning.

It has gotten to the point that I hold my breathe every time I come to a stop. I don't like it and it is starting to make me upset/embarrassed.

What do you think is wrong? Should I be expecting to pay for a complete transmission replacement? Or is this maybe just a sensor/timing issue?

Thanks much!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2010 Ford Truck Explorer AWD V6-4.0L
Vehicle » Technical Service Bulletins » All Technical Service Bulletins » Engine, A/T Controls - Harsh Downshift When Stopping
  • ENGINE, A/T CONTROLS - HARSH DOWNSHIFT WHEN STOPPING
TSB 11-5-5

05/10/11

4.0L/5R555 - HARSH DOWNSHIFT WHILE STOPPING

FORD:
2009-2010 Explorer Sport Trac, Explorer

MERCURY:
2009-2010 Mountaineer

ISSUE
Some 2009 and 2010 Explorer, Explorer Sport Trac and Mountaineer vehicles equipped with a 4.0L engine and 5R55S transmission may exhibit a harsh downshift while coming to a stop.

ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 72.04 and higher or 73.01 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.5 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at the website.

NOTE PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT : Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

110505A 2009-2010 Explorer, 0.3 Hr.
Mountaineer, And Explorer
Sport Trac 5R555
Transmission: Reprogram
The PCM (Do Not Use
With Any Other Labor
Operations)

DEALER CODING
CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
RECAL 04

Thank you! That describes my situation exactly! I plan on taking it to the dealer in the morning.

Hope it works for you. There are so many drivability issues anymore just related to updated software.

Thanks again. My dealership said no one will be there tomorrow that can do that. I'll have to figure out a way to do it during the week.

Back