Has a Ford Dealer pee'd in your cornflakes lately? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has a Ford Dealer pee'd in your cornflakes lately?

Reaction score
City, State
Medicine Hat, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Limited V8AWD
A little more than a year ago my Father and I fell in love with the Shelby Gt500 at its debut at the New York Autoshow... We immediately put a deposit down to secure the 5th position at Metro Ford, Calgary, Alberta, Canada. It was only 2,500 and fully refundable without question... all was looking peachy.

Then came the hype... most powerful mustang ever... shelby back with ford... last svt ever... blah blah blah. March 2006 came and a MSRP was supposed to be realeased by Ford... no luck...Early May- A lucky customer from eastern canada posted that he was given a msrp of 52,000.. Today May 30 we finnally recieved a call from the dealer...A) they would not tell us the msrp (we already knew though cause of the posting)... B) They wanted 75,000 canadian (mulitiply by .9 for american) for the car.

Still at this price it is almost worth it... but out of principle we refuse... here is why... Ford is in trouble... BIG TROUBLE... They are trying to beat imports at there own game and the only thing that doesnt sit on a lot are trucks and stangs... So why should we support a dealer that is robbing loyal Ford customers (we have owned 7 plus fords now)... this is money Ford deserves for making a amazing car not some donut eating, fat car salesman. We called Ford aparently there is nothing they can do. If you do not have control over those who sell your cars no wonder you cant stay above red...

At only 20 years of age this is my promise... i will never buy a NEW ford again... i do not want my money going to another greedy dealer.

FYI... Used vette z06 is now what were looking for..

Looking for comments and others stories i wanna have a ford rant session

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

other than the look and ammenities of a few new cars, i would never buy a new car either.... hell a new car loses half its value if you own it a year........

my 1985 toyota has retained its value for the past 3 years i have owned it.... it doesnt blue book very high, but in a market comparison, its still worth a little over what i paid for it years ago.....

It reminds me of the waiting list people were on when the Toyota Prius came into existence. A lot of people wanted it, and had to wait a very long time. The dealer had full control. By the way, I was eating corn flakes at the time when I saw this thread. :D

I agree, no dealer should ever charge over the MSRP for a vehicle. It is unethical and poor business practice. I worked in the automobile business for over seven years in sales and would not work for a retail facility that charged over the MSRP, period. Unfortunately, the "fat salesman" have no say when it comes to charging over MSRP, or what is called market adjusting. That is the decision of management. I still have friends who work in the business, and they are all honest people that hate it just as much as you do when the DEALER decides that he wants to be greedy.(Ford GT, for instance)

BTW, my friends and I lift weights, not donuts.
Guess I needed to rant alittle, too.

I thought it was common for dealershops to charge a 20k premium over the price of a highly demanded car. Viper and Prowler come to mind.

the enzo and carrera gt. if im not mistaken a 400k premuim was put onto those cars.

The good 'ol supply and demand theory, you demand it, they supply it. It's not a matter of MSRP, it's a matter of how many people got on waiting lists versus how many that they planned on making. I would venture to guess that the number on the waiting list is greater than 2500. So, in an effort to make the most profit as possible, they raise the price in order to weed out some of the lower level players. It's not fair, I know, but when is life ever fair? Especially when money is involved.

As for the buying a new car, I've done it once, and I will never do it again. Your better off buying a car that is 1-4 years old, generally off lease. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. I know that this is a rare and awsome car that you are wanting, but, is it really worth it? If you must to that route, I'd say get a Roush or a Saleen. Just as rare, great looks and speed with less hassle.

Greetings fellow Calgarian. Too bad about your experience with Metro. I used to get all my service done on my '00 Contour SVT and '00 Explorer Sport there and they did great work. You used to be able to prepay something like 12 oil changes for $100 and it was great deal. Why change it yourself when you can get it done that cheap? I was working within walking distance of the dealer so it was very convenient.

I've never purchased new from them. I have leased a '97 Explorer and bought my Contour through Advantage and they were great (Rob Gibney is a dude). I scored my used '00 Explorer from Universal. The sales guys were great there, but their service department was a joke. I've recently used Maclin and Woodridge for service and they were fine. I've used Advantage sparingly for service (not as convenient for me) and they were alright. I sold my '93 Explorer to a close friend. He got horrible service from Advantage.

So there is a real mixture of what to expect out there! Too bad about your experience with the new Stang. I've heard that happens. I've never had a desire to be an early adopter anyhow. Wait until the hype disappears or score a used one in a year or two. ;)

[QUOTE='97 V8]the enzo and carrera gt. if im not mistaken a 400k premuim was put onto those cars.[/QUOTE]

The Enzo anyway...

As for control over the dealers, they are independently owned--only so much a manufacturer can do. Even Toyota dealers charge over MSRP for the Prius. Doesn't make it right, but there are enough people out there to pay the premium that the dealers can get away with it.

So if the car had an MSRP of 75,000 Canadian you would have bought it? I don't get it.

I know that when the 2005 Mustangs came out, it was almost like a bidding war. One of our good friends got one of the first 05 Mustang GT's in the Austin area. He probably paid a few thousand over what they were 6 or 9 months later. He paid that extra money so he wouldn't have to wait for the demand to drop off. Personally, I wouldn't have done it. Not that big into having something that soon when it will get cheaper later.

I did buy my Mustang brand new. Only had 37 miles when I got him. He now has close to 95,000 miles. Not worried about resale or anything like that. I bought him to keep him. I know what service has been done and what mods have been put on and the only person I can blame for when anything goes wrong is me, unless it was a Ford part that went out. :p

Just this past weekend - my father in law went into a dealer in Phx, AZ to buy a 4x4 Ranger. Told them he just wanted their "best price" and he was going to compare to a Toyota Tacoma. They got the price and went to the Toyota dealer. The Ford guy called the toyota dealer pretending to be their "son" and told the receptionist at the toyota dealer that there was an emergency. He ended up buying a new tacoma 4x4 for just over 22K.

Back when I bought my current ex, went to a dealer in Peoria, AZ, with newspaper ad, asked if ad vehicle was on lot, salesman said yes - then pointed to 5 or 6 explorers. Took test drive, went inside and lo and behold the one we picked wasn't the 19K, but was really 23K. Said goodbye and proceeded to walk out. The manager followed me asking what was wrong. I told him I was lied to, He said he would sell the one I wanted at the ad price. I told him no way, I do not do business with liars.

It seems as though integrity varies from stealer to stealer. I found my LS on the internet for 17 with a 250 off if you printed the ad. I got to the dealer and the window sticker had 22 on it. The dealer honored the price with the 250 off. I'll go ahead and give 'em a plug for that it was Graham Ford here in Columbus.

When I got back from overseas in 1990 I needed a new vehicle. The Ford truck salesman wasn't available, When I asked the Chevy dealer for a 4 wheel drive Blazer, he told me they were special order - they don't sell in Texas. When I tried a different Chevy dealer they had two but had already sold them to farmers. Next I tried the Dodge/Jeep place. They were closed on Saturday (Texas still has blue laws) and had removed all the pricing stickers. Next door was a Mazda dealer. They literally drove the Navajo off the show room lot, took an non-preprinted check for $19K on an out of state bank from a guy living in a hotel. I have been happy with the vehicle ever since, most recently in a large part due to the presence of this forum.

I like that feeling of being able to walk away from rude dealers.

blichy said:
As for control over the dealers, they are independently owned--only so much a manufacturer can do.

Actually... Ford shut down the dealership in my town. I think they stopped selling new cars to them and took away blue oval certification on the service shop (or something to that affect)

anyway, put that dealership out of business, they had to sell it and it is under new ownership now. there is only a slight improvement in the quality of service there(but it is improved). i would NEVER go there, but they are the closest dealer.

DCExplorer: So if the car had an MSRP of 75,000 Canadian you would have bought it? I don't get it.

would have probably bought it then... then the money goes to Ford who took the initiative of building this amazing car... not the dealer

As for shutting down dealerships:

My suggestion to ford would be to only supply svt's to dealers willing to take msrp or a small commision of like 5% above. Sure they dont control the dealers but im sure they control where the cars go

in my opinion this is idiotic- if the market will bear a 5k, 50k, or 500k premium over the suggested retail price, then so be it.

Ford isn't selling those cars to make money per se- they are selling them to encourage sales of their more pedestrian cars. It will help ford whether it sells for 52 or 100...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back