Has anybody figured out a fix for the second row window wind noise?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anybody figured out a fix for the second row window wind noise??

toolman4

Reaction score
City, State
Mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Platinum

Mine is the same as this guys and many others. starts at 19.44 . Mine happens above 50mph. The noise is coming from the area up top where the movable and stationary glass meets. I have tried caulk and seal pieces but nothing has worked. They finally have a tsb for the wind noise coming from the front windows that just puts a little piece of seal under the seal that's already there which did nothing for mine. My platinum 2020 is a noisy sob with the so called "acoustic windows". Acoustic windows don't do jack if the seals dont fit correctly. The rear windows rock back and forth big time too when you grab them....poor fit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Checking out this forum on your issue, there don't seem to be many posts about it. One member did mention a possible seal issue in this thread, 2020 Explorer Rear Doors Wind Noise but other than that, there is very little else.
By the way, only the front side windows have acoustic glass.

Peter

Yeah, I have this issue as well. My rear window motors are stronger than my front window motors too. It's weird. But, I also have the fear of breaking a rear window if I close the door with the window cracked in even the slightest way due to the back and forth movement of the glass.

Yeah, maybe the glass just isn't wide enough on the back windows to seal tight. Mine was an early build, so I wonder if they changed something on the later ones. Be curious to knoq if the glass and seal part numbers are the same as 22.

Checking out this forum on your issue, there don't seem to be many posts about it. One member did mention a possible seal issue in this thread, 2020 Explorer Rear Doors Wind Noise but other than that, there is very little else.
By the way, only the front side windows have acoustic glass.

Peter
Found the solution. If you remove the aluminum slats that are attached to the rubber strip on your rear windows (smaller quarter window seal), you’ll notice that it’s attached by double sided tape. This doesn’t bond as well to the metal as it does the rubber underside. Simply remove the aluminum strips and the double sided tape and use a little (not a lot) of goo gone. You won’t notice that they are gone and look factory but the better part is the excess wind noise goes away. Hope this helps.

Found the solution. If you remove the aluminum slats that are attached to the rubber strip on your rear windows (smaller quarter window seal), you’ll notice that it’s attached by double sided tape. This doesn’t bond as well to the metal as it does the rubber underside. Simply remove the aluminum strips and the double sided tape and use a little (not a lot) of goo gone. You won’t notice that they are gone and look factory but the better part is the excess wind noise goes away. Hope this helps.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Thanks for the tip.

Peter

Thanks for that tip. I found that to be the case too. For the front windows I found that watching the door in a very strong wind, the door was actually pulling itself open. It was actually moving in and out toward the top forward corner of the door. The body lines are flush but its almost like the hinge should have been welded in a bit? Any solutions for this?

Hey @Sgt1411 what did you do to fix your door noise?

Would you be willing to upload a picture or two showing this solution? I'm extremely frustrated with the 2nd row wind noise and hoping we are experiencing the same thing.

Hey @Sgt1411 what did you do to fix your door noise?

My noise was the thin black vertical trim piece between the small "A" window and the sliding rear door glass. It was determined by duct taping all door exterior trim/moldings and then road testing, each time taking one piece of tape off until I heard the wind noise again. Ford replaced the rear door "A" window and wind noise went away.

loud rear window noise when it is rolled down...sounds like something is rapidly flapping when over 35mph. Will get family to sit in back next road trip to see if we can pinpoint the origin. Any ideas? ...will look into aluminum trim mentioned above.

loud rear window noise when it is rolled down...sounds like something is rapidly flapping when over 35mph. Will get family to sit in back next road trip to see if we can pinpoint the origin. Any ideas? ...will look into aluminum trim mentioned above.

Not sure if its the same noise... but i've noticed two noises discussed elsewhere here before:
1. when only one window open there's the pressure "pulsing" that occurs... crack another window and it goes away.
2. I had a noise sounding like came from the window but it was a loose cover under the car... tightened that up and the noise went away.

if either of those match what you are hearing suggest looking for those discussions

Not sure if its the same noise... but i've noticed two noises discussed elsewhere here before:
1. when only one window open there's the pressure "pulsing" that occurs... crack another window and it goes away.
2. I had a noise sounding like came from the window but it was a loose cover under the car... tightened that up and the noise went away.

if either of those match what you are hearing suggest looking for those discussions
As for #1, that is normal. It's called 'wind buffeting'.

"It's Caused When Two Pockets of Air Crash Together. Wind buffeting is caused by an occurrence known as Helmholtz Resonance. In a nutshell, when you open just one window in your vehicle ‒ or the sunroof or moonroof ‒ the air inside your car thumps up against the faster-moving air outside the window."

Peter

see my posted reply to BobT2k above.

Peter

"It's Caused When Two Pockets of Air Crash Together. Wind buffeting is caused by an occurrence known as Helmholtz Resonance. In a nutshell, when you open just one window in your vehicle ‒ or the sunroof or moonroof ‒ the air inside your car thumps up against the faster-moving air outside the window."

Peter

Agreed... I couldn't tell from their description if either of these were what they were experiencing.... the noise from the panel under took me a while to figure out and i could have sworn it was coming from the window when it was really from underneath.... or if they were having a complete different issue

Number 1 is what is happening to me on both sides of the vehicle when I roll the back windows down. Will look for that thread.

Number 1 is what is happening to me on both sides of the vehicle when I roll the back windows down. Will look for that thread.

Peter

Peter
is there a solution? never had this in any other car until the 2020 explorer.

The "solution" is to crack open another window. It's an aerodynamic issue that Ford designers probably could have designed to eliminate but who knows what the vehicle would have looked like. Many of my cars have done the same thing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is there a solution? never had this in any other car until the 2020 explorer.
You could try what Spacey mentioned to see if that resolves it. I've had that same wind buffeting on many other vehicles over many years.

Peter

Back