Has anybody tried installing an OEM (Factory) engine oil cooler? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anybody tried installing an OEM (Factory) engine oil cooler?

Bobs2018ExplorerSport

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Livermore, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport 4WD
Callsign
KD6ANY
I was wondering if anybody has ever duplicated and installed the parts needed to add the OEM factory Engine Oil Cooler option, onto their late-model 3.5L V6 Explorer that didn't originally come with the tow package option? My 2018 Explorer appears to already have a transmission oil cooler mounted up front, which may be why the factory towing spec sheet only adds the engine oil cooler, to round-out the "tow package".

However, I've been looking into what parts might be needed to add this additional feature onto my own 2018, but I'm not confident that my initial list is even close to being complete. There appears to be a different, two-piece oil filter adapter used (one which gives you a couple of hose fittings to connect to), and a set of pre-molding hoses; however, I'm still looking into what that all connects to farther up front.

Also, if there's anybody that already has it on their tow-packaged Explorer, do the cooler hoses run into fittings in the radiator, or, do they run to a separate cooling unit mounted in front of the radiator (which would be my expectation)?

Any info or photos of a factory installation would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Peter,

Nope, that thread didn't come up when I first searched the Forum for postings on this issue.

I will look into that thread; THANKS!

Back