has anybody used the bolts from their aal kit?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

has anybody used the bolts from their aal kit??

99sportxplor3

Reaction score
City, State
Dover
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 sport
the bolt could be a little wider but it seemed to do the job...some input on this would be great. and also the bolt is much too long...if i were to keep it could i cut it???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Everyone that has done the AAL using the Pro-Comp had to buy a differnt bolt because the head of the one that Pro-Comp supplies is too big to fit in the stock spring location hole.

Personally I would not trust that "tiny" bolt to hold my leaf pack together...Now I know that that bolt is not the only thing holding it together, the ubolts help a great amount but what I did was just go to the local hardware store (in my case ACE hardware) and pick up a bolt...I can't remember what size off the top of my head. I also know that there is a thread on here where someone used the bolt from the kit and after a few months they were doing a check up on it and the bolt was completely loose, can't member who that was but the thread was titled something like "check your center pins" or something along that line. Let me go check for it...

actually dan, they were to small and so i had to get bigger ones for my ranger and they came with 2 different sizes of bolts...i must admit, i have never put them on an X....:scratch:

sparkey, i already posted a thread..not sure it's the same one but it will do???

For the life of me I can't fidn the thread where somone was adviseing others that used the AAL bolt to go check it because theirs has fallen out but I did find/remeber that the bolt size was 3/8 x 2 1/2, I would make sure that they are grade 8 hardware

actually dan, they were to small and so i had to get bigger ones for my ranger and they came with 2 different sizes of bolts...i must admit, i have never put them on an X....:scratch:

Maybe I have it backwards. However Rangers are SOA and Explorers are SUA.

I do know that there is a problem with the bolt Pro-Comp supplies.

i used 10 x 70's so they are the same as 3/8" x 2 3/4" if i remember correctly...

I thought about posting that How-To (its a great one) but from reading his first post It sounded to me like the AAL was already done and he just used the procomp bolt for now and didn't know if it was ok, but I could be wrong...

dan, it seems only mods admit to making mistakes...i know i don't, lol...:D

Personally I would not trust that "tiny" bolt to hold my leaf pack together...Now I know that that bolt is not the only thing holding it together, the ubolts help a great amount but what I did was just go to the local hardware store (in my case ACE hardware) and pick up a bolt...I can't remember what size off the top of my head. I also know that there is a thread on here where someone used the bolt from the kit and after a few months they were doing a check up on it and the bolt was completely loose, can't member who that was but the thread was titled something like "check your center pins" or something along that line. Let me go check for it...

thanks alot.

The center bolt dose a couple things and it is important to use a proper bolt for the application...
The head should be a rounded one that centers your diff under (or over in the case of a SUA axle) and it keeps the spring pack together for assembly. They need to be torqued tightly (I don't have the proper spec infront of me right now but it should be in your instructions) and then the excess cut off (best to use a tourch to flow over the threads on the bolt so it won't back off) The bolt dose have to be the proper diameter for the hole so the spring pack wont walk around... They are soo long so you can bring all the leaf springs together easier but I use a large "C" clamp or vice grip (C style)... If all you have is a hack saw to cut them then use a ball peen hamer and peen the end to lock the nut (a little lock tight won't hurt either) The nut supplied should be a special one that is the proper size to locate the U-bolt pad as well don't use a nylock as they are usually too big (high) for the job... If you are using wedge shims you can use a nut that is just bigger than the thredded part of the centering pin and then grind it round on a bench grinder to the same size as the round head of the bolt...
I have only seen pro comp using the proper type of centering bolt and nut in any of the kits I have put in (worked in a spring shop for a while installing lift kits and customs on many trucks...GREAT JOB just the boss was very hot tempered...lol...) if they are not supplying the proper bolt then contact their tech line so they can fix the problem on all the kits...

Just my 2cents worth...
Cheers Randy...:salute:

Back