Has anyone done performance tuning to a 2013 3.5 non-EcoBoost? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone done performance tuning to a 2013 3.5 non-EcoBoost?

Last update was eight months ago. Any new info?

Livernois has a tune out for the Naturally Aspirated 3.5L engine, I decided to go big, sold the 13 Limited bought a 14 SPORT so I could get the EcoBoost.

I have an almost new (still looks new used 1 month) black INJEN CAI for the N/A 3.5L, if anyone is interested PM me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have the Sport already? If yes what is your impression of the engine & transmisson comparison between these.

We have a 13 Limited - we got it just before the Sport was announced (would have considered waiting...).

Are the paddle shifters really usable on an everyday basis (either alone in manual or as a temp override on automode).

How does the engine power compare?

I had a 5.4L Expedition before & this Explorer 3.5L seems very anemic in comparison - especially low end torque & so much noisier. With 290HP Vs 300HP but a lighter vehicle I wasn't expecting a big performance reduction...

Alan

2013LTD

There is more then just the rear console thats not included as part of the Sport Package.

Theres some tech features missing too.

Im interested in this as well but when I read the post about the Livernois SPORT tune it seemed as it was too much money for a very small increase in HP and torque.

Interesting about the CAI because I asked one of the Ford engine Engineers about adding a CAI to the 3.5L and was told you wont see a difference, don't waste your money.

Sgt1411-What changed your mind about the CAI after what the engineer told you?

Did you notice an increase in performance and/or in cabin noise?

Glad to see your Sport finally arrived, better late than never.

2013LTD

There is more then just the rear console thats not included as part of the Sport Package.

Theres some tech features missing too.

Im interested in this as well but when I read the post about the Livernois SPORT tune it seemed as it was too much money for a very small increase in HP and torque.

Interesting about the CAI because I asked one of the Ford engine Engineers about adding a CAI to the 3.5L and was told you wont see a difference, don't waste your money.

Sgt1411-What changed your mind about the CAI after what the engineer told you?

Did you notice an increase in performance and/or in cabin noise?

Glad to see your Sport finally arrived, better late than never.

Ya thanks, 16 weeks is too long but its worth the wait, such a great daily driver.

Unless your going to compliment the CAI with a tune I didn't think it was worth it.

The improvements were negligible without a tune.

I would keep it if I went the tune route but that kinda pushed me towards the SPORT even more.

Sgt1411-Besides the CAI, did you do any engine tunes on your 3.5 N/A Limited ? If so what and the results.

Thanks

Do the 14 Sports have a digital speedo?

Sgt1411-Besides the CAI, did you do any engine tunes on your 3.5 N/A Limited ? If so what and the results.

Thanks

Do the 14 Sports have a digital speedo?

I did not do any tuning on 3.5L N/A Limited, decided to get EcoBoost Sport.

Im pretty sure digital speedo is Interceptor only, I haven't found it on Sport

Do you have the Sport already? If yes what is your impression of the engine & transmisson comparison between these.

We have a 13 Limited - we got it just before the Sport was announced (would have considered waiting...).

Are the paddle shifters really usable on an everyday basis (either alone in manual or as a temp override on automode).

How does the engine power compare?

I had a 5.4L Expedition before & this Explorer 3.5L seems very anemic in comparison - especially low end torque & so much noisier. With 290HP Vs 300HP but a lighter vehicle I wasn't expecting a big performance reduction...

Alan

In my mind the engines dont compare at all, EcoBoost is way more powerful and fun to drive. Especially the way the torque is produced at your most usable RPM.

Its not just the EcoBoost engine that sold me, its the SPORT package.

Different EPAS Sport tuning
Different Sport Suspension tuning, 20mm lower, 37% stiffer
Different brakes, WAY better brakes.

Paddle shifters are fun to use but being honest, the novelty wears off.

It comes down to Limited luxury features vs Sport performance features, which ones can you live with or without?

I miss heated steering wheel, rain sense wipers, HIDs, Lane Keep, Powerfold 2/3rd row seats, but not enough to override the performance features.

I miss heated steering wheel, rain sense wipers, HIDs, Lane Keep, Powerfold 2/3rd row seats, but not enough to override the performance features.
Thanks great response - just what I was looking for.

I would miss the HID, Powerfold & lane keep - wipers I can live without (They seem a bit random anyway!).

I'd really like a Limited with the better engine/transmission/brakes. I don't really want lower.

Maybe eventually (for replacement time) they will offer something closer

One other question... what have you seen on fuel efficiency between these?

Alan

Alan

I haven't finished the first tank of gas yet. LOL!

To be completely honest this is my first EcoBoost Twin Turbo and the power is so much fun to drive its hard to drive economically.

As I mature as a EcoBoost owner and begin to drive more responsibly I will do a fair comparison.

But just anecdotally by watching the fuel GUI I think its not much different, Im wondering if my 2013 was leaking a bit of gas under pressure and I never smelled it. The 2013 never got the Fuel module recall done so that may have effected it.

Definitely love the SPORT, I look forward to going driving.

I should be driving to Goodyear AZ soon so I will have a better highway comparison.

In my mind the engines dont compare at all, EcoBoost is way more powerful and fun to drive. Especially the way the torque is produced at your most usable RPM.

Its not just the EcoBoost engine that sold me, its the SPORT package.

Different EPAS Sport tuning
Different Sport Suspension tuning, 20mm lower, 37% stiffer
Different brakes, WAY better brakes.

Paddle shifters are fun to use but being honest, the novelty wears off.

It comes down to Limited luxury features vs Sport performance features, which ones can you live with or without?

Spot on!

I test drove the sport before we bought one... Rented many explorers, still do. I like the Sport better!

The sport is what Ford should have built all along... Going from Sport other exs seem "week"...

Spot on!

I test drove the sport before we bought one... Rented many explorers, still do. I like the Sport better!

The sport is what Ford should have built all along... Going from Sport other exs seem "week"...

Some of us like the week(weak). Maybe Ford should bring back the Windstar in a Sport version-- who knows, a mini van on steroids.

Some of us like the week(weak). Maybe Ford should bring back the Windstar in a Sport version-- who knows, a mini van on steroids.

Guess I didn't catch spell check checking that! Weak!

But that is why we have choices!

Guess I didn't catch spell check checking that! Weak!

But that is why we have choices!

Sorta like Missouri or Missoura

Reviving an old thread!!! I'm the owner of a 2013 Limited and am interested in an intake, a tune down the road. Today I removed the snorkel from the air box and went for a drive. To my surprise, it sounded very good. I'm not sure if there is any performance improvement, but I can't see why not. Which raises the question in my mind, why pay $300 on a new intake if one could simply remove the snorkel tube and drop in a K&N filter? Its too bad the snorkel tube is restricted like it is, it actually does hook up to replicate a ram air intake affect...What do you all think?
I've also been looking at tunes, and I think I'd like to go the route of a remote tune to save some money. Are there any recommendations out there? Thanks

Welcome to the Forum Andy.:wave:
The "snorkel" I'm guessing you refer to is bringing in the cold air. Without it you are just drawing in warm/hot air which is not what you want. That is why the intakes are referred to as Cold Air Intakes (CAI). That is another reason you want to stay away from aftermarket intakes with metal tubes/snorkles because they heat up.

Peter

Back