Has anyone ever eliminated their catalyitic converters | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone ever eliminated their catalyitic converters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark-5.0

Reaction score
City, State
Leawood, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 5.0 xlt
I own a '94 h/c/i mustang gt and i love the sound of it with no cats, staight pipe and flowmasters. I have found that flowmaster only makes s 50 series dual inlet single outlet muffler. so I an wanting to know if i can have a local muffler shop custom make true dual exhaust for my 5.0 explorer. or if anything, eliminate the cats and run a y-pipe or something like that. anyone have info.

Jeremy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

eliminating the cats unless its a track only vehicle is bad... it will increase bad emissions, cuase it to fail inspections, depending on where you are may make it unregisterable, not allowed on hte street, and also will mess with the computer

Well thanks for the mommy talk on smog, but i live in kansas and we don't have emissions tests at all. I am in the process of rigging up o2 simulators to not set off a check engine light. so my guess is that no one has ever done this. i guess i'll be the first.

Jeremy

People have done it, there are dummy o2 sensors, and if you wanna do it go right ahead.

Why get rid of the cats? They won't give you any performance, and you will be polluting more, and giving the radical eco nuts one more reason to lobby for emmisions testing in Everywhere. Emissions testing will eventually come everywhere, because irresponsible people insist of removing emissions parts. If you want performance get some real mods, and leave the cats in place where they belong. Besides the cats aren't the bottleneck in the exhaust. It's the stock headers.

Always thought it was illegal, regardless of whether you had testing or not.

You only need 02 dummies if you have 02's after the cat and preheater.

You are not the first, hahaha not by a long shot.
You will gain flow on a 5.0L by ditching the cats.
It is illegal no matter where you are.

Most Ford's run rich when intake and exhaust mods are performed without a computer tune in the end.

Stock cats flow pretty well as long as they are clean, the gains are minimal.
You will get better sound from your exahust by adding headers and opening the intake up, running straight pipes instead of the pre heater and cat(s) will only do a little bit to the sound and performance compared to other intake/exhaust mods.

I am not going to tell you what to do, just the facts as I know them...

So what if I were to just dump the preheaters and not the cats. The preheaters are what I'm guessing is right before the muffler? Does anyone know of a good sounding loud muffler that has dual inlet single outlet. I just want a more loud tone exhaust, more like my mustang. Thats all.

Jeremy

i took a big drill bit and cleaned out my cat. i actually gave me more power and better gas millage. it was around a 20%-25% percent in crease in gas millage and power. i couldnt pass emitions so i had to buy a new cat. it is hard to go back to the cat and loose the preformace but i have let on the cat for over a year now. after talking about this i might go put on my dummy cat.

the reason you gained performace is because your old cat was clogged most likely.

removing just the preheater will not do a thing for you.
the preheater is in front of the cat, cat is last before the muffler.

I am not aware of any dual in single out mufflers.
I like Dynomax, Borla, Flowmaster, flowmaster probably sounds most like what you want..
With the 5.0L in a truck I would stick with a single 3" exhaust after the Y pipe for more low end.

again the best way to get a better sounding exhaust is to remove the restrictions in your intake, stock air baffle, air box mainly.

I don't mean to sound like an idot, but what exactly is a preheater?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back