Has anyone ever installed a kill switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone ever installed a kill switch

SharkyC

Reaction score
City, State
Vallejo, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer PIU
has anyone ever installed a kill switch to disable the starter. I live in a bad neighborhood and see cars being stolen on the local neighborhood facebook page and want to put one on my 2015 for extra security.

If you have done it or know what wire, color and location can you let me know where

Yes i know if there going to jack it they will. Or a tow truck bla bla bla.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah i seen those but they range about $500 plus what is you lose the key or what ever its called you plug in.

The particle travels along a straight track such that its position is described by the s-( graph. Construct the v-( graph for the same time interval. i got the wire diagram but just not sure where the closes place to tap into it..

Are the newer ones not transponder keys?

You could put a hidden toggle switch interrupting the fuel pump but I am not sure if this would confuse the PCM or make it post a no fuel pump pressure code but those with late model PCM experience could tell you.

That’s kinda lame that a 20 year old one has a better security feature. You could interrupt the fuel pump ( cut coil power to the relay) or interrupt the wire feeding the ignition coil.

I’d double check. Regular Explorers had chips up until 2016 from what I can find. A chip key isn’t that much bigger than most keys.

I’d double check. Regular Explorers had chips up until 2016 from what I can find. A chip key isn’t that much bigger than most keys.
"A simple fleet key addresses key-management issues, making it easier and more cost-effective for police agencies. The Police Interceptor key does not have a microchip, so replacement cost of the key is only what you'd pay for a key at the local hardware store."
Quote from Ford, not me.

Instead of an alarm I've used a relay to cut the starter signal wire activated by turning the headlights on. Simple but effective since the last thing your going to think when stealing a car is turning the lights on. Now with the all the newer vehicles having auto or courtesy headlights it's not really an option unless the switch is isolated, haven't had that situation yet to try it.

Very easy to install a kill switch in a PI. As mentioned 100 percent they do not use chipped keys.

Get some wiring diagrams and good to go.

Some people have installed aftermarket keyless entry/remote start/alarm systems. While it doesn't apply on a 15 (that I recall) if you would install a system that part of it involves hard-wiring into the wiring for keyless entry you will need to make sure you disable the switch inhibit in the settings (I think it is under locks).

"A simple fleet key addresses key-management issues, making it easier and more cost-effective for police agencies. The Police Interceptor key does not have a microchip, so replacement cost of the key is only what you'd pay for a key at the local hardware store."
Quote from Ford, not me.

Having paid $600+ for a replacement fob for my wife's 328i, I REALLY like the PIU key.

You can also add remote start and or just keyless entry and use a oem key/ remote locking with the remote allows the factory alarm to go off.. if someone tries to take it.. (found out it really works when my wife opened the driver's door with my original fleet key the other day)

Back