Has anyone had the trim painted on their explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone had the trim painted on their explorer?

Themizz039

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer Limite
Hey everyone I'm thinking about getting the Gray plastic trim painted body colored. The first quote I got was $2000 which I thought was pretty high. I realize it is a lot of work to get it done right. A friend of mine at work sent his friend who owns a body shop a pic of my car and what I wanted done. He quoted me $800 which I felt was a pretty good deal. I definitely want to get it done but was hoping for some feedback if anyone has had it done before. How is durability as far as peeling, etc.. I still can't believe on a car that is over 50k they used the cheap gray plastic trim.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't but its a fantastic idea. The only reason I went black for my wife's explorer was so I would have to deal with the two tone. Still want to paint the trim though. Would look even better I think.

@ Temizz039

That's a great idea, I'm about to pickup a white explorer limited and was thinking of doing the same, it would give the car a nicer look as well as make it look lower to the ground, in my opinion.

Btw what colour is your truck?

take a look at the blue tjin sema explorer. I agree, much nicer when the trim matches the body color.

@ Temizz039

That's a great idea, I'm about to pickup a white explorer limited and was thinking of doing the same, it would give the car a nicer look as well as make it look lower to the ground, in my opinion.

Btw what colour is your truck?

Mine is the White Platinum Metallic so the plastic on the bottom really stands out.

I haven't but its a fantastic idea. The only reason I went black for my wife's explorer was so I would have to deal with the two tone. Still want to paint the trim though. Would look even better I think.

You are right. With the black at least it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. I don't understand why Ford chose not to do this from the factory. They do it on the Ford Edge Sport so at the very least you think the Sport Explorer would get the same treatment.

Hey guys found these pics of a white explorer with body trim painted to match the exterior body colour.

Looks nice to me. It also aprears to be lowered.

Thinking of getting mine done, we shall see.

Here is the link:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3949038/2011-ford-explorer/[/

This is exactly what I want to do (outside of lowering it). I especially like how they left the center section on the rear bumper dark. Gives it a rear diffuser look. I'm still waiting on my set of Vossen's as well.

Something else that I'm looking at doing is painting the front window moulding white on mine.

I find that with it being black it just look weird, anybody else taught of that ?

Something else that I'm looking at doing is painting the front window moulding white on mine.

I find that with it being black it just look weird, anybody else taught of that ?

Yes, I find that weird too. Part of their 'wrap-around' design feature. Not sure I'd go so far as to paint it, but I would like to see what it would look like.

I am getting this done on my Ruby Red Sport as soon as I can get a few miles on it. I can't stand the two tone, but didn't want black again...

I'll be sure to post about it.

Has anyone gotten a quote for this yet besides Themmiz039. I would love to do this to my white sport that I should pick up in 3 weeks.

Has anyone gotten a quote for this yet besides Themmiz039. I would love to do this to my white sport that I should pick up in 3 weeks.

You should check with your dealer if they cannot do it before you pickup the vehicule, should only take 2 or 3 more days.

It cost nothing to ask :)

Well, I for one am glad it's plastic cause those areas get the most road crap sprayed up.

Hey everyone I'm thinking about getting the Gray plastic trim painted body colored. The first quote I got was $2000 which I thought was pretty high. I realize it is a lot of work to get it done right. A friend of mine at work sent his friend who owns a body shop a pic of my car and what I wanted done. He quoted me $800 which I felt was a pretty good deal. I definitely want to get it done but was hoping for some feedback if anyone has had it done before. How is durability as far as peeling, etc.. I still can't believe on a car that is over 50k they used the cheap gray plastic trim.

Mines white. I like the contrast. Not fussy on the all white look.

Back