Has anyone heard of CGS Motor Sports for Aftermarket Air Intake & Cat Back Systems? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of CGS Motor Sports for Aftermarket Air Intake & Cat Back Systems?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The resonator pipe from the BMW sounds interesting... Just have to check on diameter of the resonator you have. Also something to consider is the size/volume of the resonator... Might give you a favorable sound but may give an unfavorable sound?

DonM.....you have given me further ideas.

I hear ya about doing it myself which isn't the problem. What you have inspired me to do is two things.

1. Call and see how much the resonator pipe would be. Thanks for the link!! Greatly appreciate it.

2. Still go ahead and forge my Resonator from the M3 and extra CGS piping I'll have and be able to switch out kinda like a race and or sport version. Obviously a race version would be no resonator but that would be too loud.

All while retain the OEM fittngs and be able to remove with only removing clamps and a simple switch out.

Also I can keep my OEM exhaust just in case of emissions or tickets..ya never know.

I'm all about experimenting and I like the magna flow resonator section. I think there is some benefits to be had. As for the BMW M3 exhaust parts, I think that be a for fun thing and see if that would be a viable alternative dependent on performance gains and sound compared to OEM and Mangna!!

Thanks for looking out!!

sounds like a lot of fun to work on.

i really had planned not to mess with the ex too much... daily driving about 70-80 miles a day i really like the quietness of the explorer... but the magnaflow price above sounds very attractive if it can add a nice mellow noise to it and no weird resonance at cruising rpms.

hmm... a magnaflow catback, a k&n to do a new intake with possible box... and finish it off with a roots type supercharger kit.

of course the latter two are not available and no idea if will be (I think the k&n is pretty likely)... but that would be the hot setup. with 22" at least Edge sport wheels to top it off (actually maybe a little wider rim/tire with a supercharger setup) :)

DonM.....you have given me further ideas.

I hear ya about doing it myself which isn't the problem. What you have inspired me to do is two things.

1. Call and see how much the resonator pipe would be. Thanks for the link!! Greatly appreciate it.

2. Still go ahead and forge my Resonator from the M3 and extra CGS piping I'll have and be able to switch out kinda like a race and or sport version. Obviously a race version would be no resonator but that would be too loud.

All while retain the OEM fittngs and be able to remove with only removing clamps and a simple switch out.

Also I can keep my OEM exhaust just in case of emissions or tickets..ya never know.

I'm all about experimenting and I like the magna flow resonator section. I think there is some benefits to be had. As for the BMW M3 exhaust parts, I think that be a for fun thing and see if that would be a viable alternative dependent on performance gains and sound compared to OEM and Mangna!!

Thanks for looking out!!

Guys, It seems like we can get the Magnaflow Catback part No. 15467 for around 530 bucks SHIPPED !!!
Ive been doing some research on several Magnaflow authorized dealers and one of them as agreed for this unbeatable price, just for us.... so once I get the confirmation from them, ill start another thread stating the news, I hope we can get some people to jump on this so we can get it rolling. :D

15467_lg.jpg

Nice you're making me want to return mine and get a refund and get this system!

But I think I'll be different, we need to have some one be different and compare to the Magnaflow.

Sorry for the delay in pics, not the best quality.

If you notice everything is slip on, if you notice the y pipe they messed up by not making the second pipe slip on to the long pipe that goes back into the resonator.

Ex4.jpg

Ex.jpg

Ex3.jpg

Ex2.jpg

Ex1.jpg

Ex7.jpg

Ex6.jpg

Ex5.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

Awesome pics TIO, the "Y pipe" looks a bit different than the one on the Magnaflow system, the tips look great, the welds can be improved a little, cant wait to see it installed, please post some audio files and videos when you get it done.

Tio- thanks for the pictures! I was disappointed to see they skipped the bend in that one tube but the Magnaflow folks did it the same way so I'm guessing it clears that suspension point just fine.

Is the tubing larger diameter than the stock tubing?

Tubing is bigger not by much though I think stock if I recall is 2.25 and CGS is 2.50"

I like the tips better than the gallery picture off their Explorer they used at Sema, I'm just weighing my options right now. We'll see how it goes, If DonM gets the magnaflow we can get together and do a side by side video comparison :)

lol... been tempted... it isnt a bad price.

my only concern is that i dont mind a little more growl... just how much is the question. and dont want any resonance at cruising speed.

only 15 sets available eh?

Tubing is bigger not by much though I think stock if I recall is 2.25 and CGS is 2.50"

I like the tips better than the gallery picture off their Explorer they used at Sema, I'm just weighing my options right now. We'll see how it goes, If DonM gets the magnaflow we can get together and do a side by side video comparison :)

I went ahead and measured the diameter of the pipe it is 2.50, I recall when taking to Casey over at CGS motorsports he had stated to me that the factory tubing was 2 and a quarter.

Took a better picture of the tips, with sunlight. They are shining cuz I've been cleaning and polishing the muffler and tips. I agree with the welds, but they did apply some type of coating to prevent it from rusting.
Ex11.jpg

Ex10.jpg

Ex9.jpg

Here is the M3 X-pipe section with resonator and secondary cat!!! Just a tease of things to come and compliment the CGS exhaust.....anyone have any suggestions?
I was thinking of just using the resonator and maybe use the other section by using the resonator and secondary cat to make sure it is not extremely LOUD!

So far I measured about 34-36 inches of useable straight piping.
Ex12.jpg

OH yeah, forgot to state that the M3 is also a 2.50 in diameter...I just didn't feel like taking anymore pics.

Avoid the CGS exhaust!

Hehe. I was looking at the picture of the X-pipe section and thinking that it looks REALLY good and was wondering why, other than weight savings, I would want to remove it from the Ex. After a few times back-and-forth I read the bit about it being from the M3. Duh.

Uh-oh. What happened? You can't leave us hangin' like that!

Pretty Sorry design at the Y pipe, took it to the muffler shop and before the guy even touched it. He tells me you know this is a bad design I asked why he said the driver's side muffler is the only side where the majority of the flow is, driver side hot to the touch and passenger side muffler cold as a fish! Pretty upset I have to say then the owner of CGS decides to give me shut when I tell him that this system is faulty! He tells me that he has sold 3000 and I'm the only one that has a problem with it. Oh man it got heated! If you notice the y pipe on the Magna you can tell it flows evenly and the CGS is pretty one sided. It's crap, I really liked the pipes and mufflers but it also hangs to low.

Just dissapointed with them, guy thinks his products are flawless because Ford Engineers were there, ahem! Ford Engineers dicked up a lot if other things on the Ex and I guess he expects me to believe that Engineers are gods or something to that affect.

Wow, looking at your pics now, didn't noticed how f-ed up the y part is like u said and not surprised if u barely get any flow going out the passenger side. I'd demand a return or fight the charge on your credit card and let them try to get it... You have pics and a muffler shop to back up that it's junk.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to hear that, but it was what I was thinking when I looked at that pipe. It was hard to tell from the photos what the flow would do as the joint is just a wee bit past the beginning of the angle, like maybe it would catch some perfect flow or have some sort of internal flow control (which would reduce efficiency). I really think the best solution may be to keep everything stock back to the mufflers, maybe replacing the resonator but maintaining the factory piping. The Magnaflow system has a better Y but the factory piece is the best looking of the three. I hate to say it, but I think the days of low- or no-cost horsepower are gone. With the fuel efficiency requirements on modern vehicles the manufacturers can't afford to overlook anything. Of course, they are also dealing with a financial restriction as well as owner satisfaction (loudness). Going with something lighter weight and less restrictive (louder) gives the double benefit of performance through weight loss and reduced back pressure- again assuming that the enigne really does perform better with a different backpressure.

Now if someone wants to engineer an X-pipe... But that would require some serious engineering to get it right with the flow pulses, etc.

Back