Has anyone here removed a winsdshield? How did you get it installed? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone here removed a winsdshield? How did you get it installed?

rocket22

Reaction score
City, State
La Grange, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer xlt 4 wd
We have a cracked windshield and I just got back from a local junkyard and the windshield I need is there, for only $10 and no damage at all. It is a u pull yard and I have never replaced/removed a windshield.

I am looking for instructions on how to remove, and options for reinstall. I would prefer a pro do this, but most only use their glass.

I would just take it somewhere to get it done and eat the cost. I have never seen a windshield that was removed from a vehicle that didn't look like a brick was thrown at it. I got mine replaced at the Safelite shop for just under $300 earlier this year.

Well removing isn't so bad. But safe transport, good adhesive (if you can find proper stuff), and most importantly - the correct alignment of a new windshield; those are the hard parts that must be perfect in order for it to be worth while.

Safe-lite did our old 2005 Amanti really quick. USAA ordered 4 windshields. 2 w/o heaters and 2 w/heaters. Don't know why 2 of each...

Go to youtube and watch how its done. Pretty cool process. The guy that did ours was very good at it and let us watch and showed each tool and how it worked.

My guy went to the house and installed a new windshield for $200. Wouldn't even entertain the thought of trying to do this myself for that price. Even better I didn't need to take any time off of work or drop the truck off somewhere

Back