Has anyone swapped out the front end 4WD for 2WD front endconversion on a 1st gen Ex? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone swapped out the front end 4WD for 2WD front endconversion on a 1st gen Ex?

SqEx

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
I have two 4WD 1st gen explorers, I would like to make one a street machine by swapping out the 4WD running gear for a 2WD setup.
Has anyone done this and if so, is it a easy swap ?

Thank you

are you talking about swapping the steering knuckles, removing the front drive shaft and transfer case and putting in a 2wd trans and rear drive shaft? I'm not seeing where easy covers that.

are you talking about swapping the steering knuckles, removing the front drive shaft and transfer case and putting in a 2wd trans and rear drive shaft? I'm not seeing where easy covers that.

I did some searching and correct me if I'm wrong but from what I have read, I can do a direct swap by getting 2wd front suspension from a 2wd explorer and from what I have read I can keep my current transmission by finding a tail piece/shaft to swap out the transfer case, and a 2wd driveline.

You CAN do that but why? That's a LOT of work for a small amount of weight reduction. There might be a tiny bit of handling difference due to unsprung weight but... why? You likely won't see any difference in MPG either.

Back