boominXplorer

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 4x4 Mounty
I have a 2000 Ranger that I am doing an engine/trans swap on that requires a ton of clearance. I have a whole hydro boost setup from a mustang to swap in, just wondering if anyone has done this before? Is there any issues with valving I might run into? I plan on using the mustang master cyl.

To add I will be running a 5.4 2v engine so the mustang pump will bolt right on and most of the lines will work. Here's a pic the setup and of my "rough draft"

20180521_174009.jpg

20180521_223558.jpg

20180521_223718.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting, and I hope that works well.

I haven't done it, but will soon on my 92 Lincoln. I'm doing it because the factory TEVES MC is huge, and I want to run headers.

Have you got two different Mustang hydro-boost BC's there, what models are those from?

The one I put in the truck to fit is a 98 and the other setup is off an 02 or 03. I may also strap the procharger I have on it. I'd like to run headers but dont know if there is room. I designed my steering shaft as far away as possible but it's still tight on the crown vic manifolds I'm using.

Can you install another steering shaft u-joint, on the fender, like the new member here did with his turbo install? He gained more than an inch of clearance I think. I think it's the thread in the 2nd gen forum, the turbo he just got on and it starts and runs, Reptar or similar user name it was.

I'm using a 4th Gen explorer shaft with the extra ujoint and firewall support bearing. You can see it in the pics if you look hard. I have had to modify the heck out of it but it actually steers now where the factory shaft wasn't even close to attaching. It's my side to the side project I work on about 1 night a week if I'm lucky. I'll get it running by the end of summer I hope.

I remember the Hydro Boost system being standard equipment on 70's era big Ford Sedans.

Anything that came with the big block 460 and 4 wheel disk brakes came with it.

Especially the LTD PI units.

Knew a guy that put 429 CJ heads on a 460. That thing would pass up anything except a GAS PUMP.

Didn't know Ford still made the Hydro Boost set up that late.

I'm using a 4th Gen explorer shaft with the extra ujoint and firewall support bearing. You can see it in the pics if you look hard. I have had to modify the heck out of it but it actually steers now where the factory shaft wasn't even close to attaching. It's my side to the side project I work on about 1 night a week if I'm lucky. I'll get it running by the end of summer I hope.

I like it, so you have the intermediate shaft coming out of the firewall farther to the outside? I'll look into that when I get to doing the exhaust manifolds in a few months. Good work.

Did this go anywhere Boomin?
Im finding myself looking at brake assist options like a vacuum pump or hydro assist.
Hydro assist is looking like a major mod.

So....... it is installed but I have yet to wire the engine up or finish the exhaust. It's one of those things back burner projects at the moment. It's actually plug and play with the ranger steering rack if I remember correctly. Your only issue will be plumbing the 5.0 pump to work. They are basically the same pump though.

Back