Has the 5R55E been there from the start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has the 5R55E been there from the start

Flashflood

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer 94 xlt
Has the 5r55e been in all v6 explorers 97 and newer? This is including the ohv's I'm just curious. I know it's different for the v8s but not sure about ohv's and I know before that it was the e Aod.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All second Gen explorers have 4r70w’s for the V8s. The first gens were A4LDs, and then it was “upgraded” to a 4r55e for 95-96, and then “upgraded” again to a 5r55e.

All second Gen explorers have 4r70w’s for the V8s. The first gens were A4LDs, and then it was “upgraded” to a 4r55e for 95-96, and then “upgraded” again to a 5r55e.
So your telling me I have the same transmission as the 98 that I had the reverse give out on me lol

The 4R55 and 5R55 are essentially the same trans. I think the reverse system is identical between the two.

The only way to get a beefier OEM trans is to get a V8 with 4R70W.

The 4R55 and 5R55 are essentially the same trans. I think the reverse system is identical between the two.

The only way to get a beefier OEM trans is to get a V8 with 4R70W.
Eh that's my plan lol

Back