Has timing chain tensioner/guide problem been fixed? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has timing chain tensioner/guide problem been fixed?

pkh

Reaction score
City, State
Boston area
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 ST XLT 4x,04 ST XLT 4x
Hi all!
Just found this site last nite and have a question that hopefully one of you can answer? I have a 2001 Sport Trac 4x4, 4.0 SOHC that has just had the timing chain tensioner and/or guide fail. 170k on this"less than pristine" ST and am physically unable to repair it myself at this time(disabled). I don't want to pay the estimated $1200-1600 bill for the job on this particular truck, so I'm going to sell this one and look for a lower mileage, newer Sport Trac. From reading a couple threads here last night, it seems that certain years of the 4.0 SOHC motor had chronic problems with the tensioner/guides and I want to know if they have designed this problem out of this motor and if so, what year did they fix the problem? It has been a number of years since I haven't gotten 200k+ out of a vehicle w/o this type of major repair and I was a little disappointed with 170k ( I know, whine whine whine...) Have LOVED this truck and there really ain't nuthin' else quite like them out there... Anyway, any help would be appreciated!
P~

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I work for a ford dealership in Missouri, and from what i gathered when I talked to our gas engine mechanic who's been doing it for 22 years is the 4.0 SOHC motor has always had that problem. What he did tell me is make sure that you put 5w-30 in it no matter what the mileage. He's got a 99 exlporer xlt with the SOHC motor and he has 34X,x.. miles on it, never replaced the timing chains. and what makes the bill so expensive is the timing chain the the back of the motor. If it was me I would buy a ST with the 4.6 in it.

V8 vs SOHC

I work for a ford dealership in Missouri, and from what i gathered when I talked to our gas engine mechanic who's been doing it for 22 years is the 4.0 SOHC motor has always had that problem. . . and what makes the bill so expensive is the timing chain the the back of the motor. If it was me I would buy a ST with the 4.6 in it.

I bought my Sport knowing it would be a maintenance headache but I wanted more performance than the OHV V6 and the V8 was not available. The two piece oil pan is a pain as well as the camshaft/head design. There are too many instances when the engine has to be pulled to perform maintenance. If you want longevity and performance without high maintenance then I agree that the V8 is probably a wiser choice.

Thanks!

Thanks to those of you who responded! I sort of solved my problem but didn't at the same time. I found a 2004 ST XLT with only 35,446 mi on it BUT, it too has the 4.0L SOHC in it. Glutton for punishment I guess. The V8
models don't seem very common here(suburban Boston) but I'm not sure why. The two V8's I did look at had both been turned into street trucks(lowered, lots o' chrome, Enkei polished 20's w/low-pro tires, dual stainless exhaust and stuff) and one was 2WD. We looked for something different in a mid sized, four door truck/suv... Chevy Colorado, GMC Canyon, Dodge Dakota, Toyota Tacoma but they just don't offer what the Sport Trac has for roughly the same price used.. All the little things I've gotten to really like about the ST were missing from the others and they all rode like trucks, not an suv. Missed little things like the cleats on the bed, the roof rack, (I have Thule crossbars and haul a lot of stuff in it and on it) behind rear seat storage, tow hooks(yanked lots of shrubs and stumps with those) and the overall comfort and styling.... The GM interiors were crap. Cheesy plastice, all very lightweight and pretty spartan. And a lot of them had carpet!? Who wants to go to a muddy construction site and then get back into a carpeted truck!? Gotta have my rubber floor man. Anyway, I'll make sure I keep 5w-30 synthetic oil in it and hope for 300K this time! Thanks again.
Paul

Thanks for your input/tip Dan and Dale I really appreciate it!

Back