• Register Today It's free!

hatch brackets

lorraine1

Reaction score
City, State
wva
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ford explorer
anyone have a photo of the two top hatch brackets on a 98cxplorer,how they look mounted,i just replaced the two 10 mm balls on the bottom,my two top brackets are gone,so cant remember how they attach ,i still have the top brackets,just no balls.need a photo of the brackets the hatch struts attach to

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The balls are welded to the brackets, and the brackets are welded to the hatch. I had to replace one of the balls on the top brackets so I picked up a threaded ball of the correct size and drilled and tapped the bracket. I can get pics if you want.

I'll try to get some shots today for you.

Here are a few pics of my top lift brackets. It's a little hard to see, but if you look close at the right side bracket you can see where I replaced the ball stud.
26C9CF67-6357-4317-A023-DD6F024CD797_zpsbuxd9izz.jpg

E82EC7DF-70F6-49F8-AF7C-785C86A8ED00_zpsn0ghpcgc.jpg

B7B8CFB3-479E-4379-89B8-8C877B6A8D08_zpsahsnrawq.jpg

The last pic is the ball that I replaced.

I've seen replacement "balls" at AutoZone in the Mighty-Lift section. They require a little drilling, cutting/filing to install, but not that big of a deal considering they're a universal replacement part.

I got my replacement from the same place that I got my replacement struts from. I believe it is www.liftsupportdepot.com. I use them because most of their struts are made in the USA.(at least their brand, the ones their company makes) My ball stud rusted off and broke. I ordered a new one with a threaded stud, drilled and tapped the bracket and threaded in the new stud. Works good as new.

I got my replacement from the same place that I got my replacement struts from. I believe it is www.liftsupportdepot.com. I use them because most of their struts are made in the USA.(at least their brand, the ones their company makes) My ball stud rusted off and broke. I ordered a new one with a threaded stud, drilled and tapped the bracket and threaded in the new stud. Works good as new.

Yes, the Mighty-Lift replacement stud also has a threaded shank and you could drill and tap the bracket to just screw it on, or use the supplied nut.

thanks, albi,my brackets are different,i will fabricate something, my brackets lay flat and looks like the ball was in the middle,anyway mine is a 98 explorer 5.0 awd,
.i looked at a 2002 mounty with the v6 and its not like mine as it look like the balls are threaded into the hatch?believe on mine another part of the bracket has rusted off.the litte ear part that holds the ball stud

Mine is a 99 Mountaineer, they should be the same. Unless like you said, that little raised tab rusted off.

Back