hatched 91's solid axle swap SAS leafs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hatched 91's solid axle swap SAS leafs

hatched91

Reaction score
City, State
godfrey, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport ohv 5spd
hey everyone, since i have had so much help from the boards, i figured i should give back to the explorer community and post up my sas for everyone looking int o one. here's the parts list.

1980 jeep wagonner axle
7ply jeep wagonner springs
2"x6"x.25 wall stock
3.5x3.5"x .25 wall stock
bfgoodrich a/t 35x12.50x15's
15x10" rockcrawler rims
ttfabworks SOA perches and U bolts
ebay rear spring perches
warrior shackels for the rear
grade 8 bolts
1st gen explorer steering box and shaft
6 degree inclusive angle tapered reamer
parts mike TRE kit
stock jeep tierod
custom draglink
3" body lift

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh, and custom brakelines, $110 for all three.

here's the pics

ebay perches

welded up front support

steering box started making the mounts

rear shot

steering ready to be set up

first gen steering linkage, needs to have some sort of shim

rear shackles...oops i need to redrill

i'll probably end up taking it off, but it makes things easier to work on. i will end up boxing in the mounts.

thanks, well it rides horrible at the moment. no shocks at all front or rear and the shackles are sitting flat, i need to redrill the holes farther back in the mounts for the shackles. i just have some bugs to work out, but it doesn't ride bad,all circumstances accounted for.

thanks, tomorrow i am going to redrill the shackle hangers, probably put some 1" blocks in the rear, because you can only torque down U bolts once, and when the shackles are redrilled, it will sit the front end up about 1 or 2 inches. Tomorrow i also brace the draglink, weld over all my shady 120v mig welds with a big welder to make them stronger. I'm thinking about putting in a manual bg1354 and using a single cardon U joint? i think that's what it's called. rather than the cv style. that way i can lengthen a good driveshaft.

i'm 5'10. this puts its size into perspective for those wanting to sas.

okay, i redrilled the shackles, but now it's sitting way lower in the front and the shackle angle is just flatter. I'm just going to buy some bushings, and some big shackles, like the warrior shackles i have in back, and fab up some mounts. I plan on resuing my stock rear shocks, they seem to have enough travel for the flex. However, i do need to find out about front shocks. I saw somebody use some f250 ones from auto zone, i wrote down the part number and i can't find it on here or around my house. Does anyone know of shocks i can buy for the front from autozone/ advance autoparts/ o'reilly?

Looks great, but please stay off the roads with that steering. Pay the extra money to do this right.

runs and drives fine, what's wrong with it?

I agree with Brian and IZWack, that steering is not safe for a street vehicle. Do yourself a favor and get a properly designed drag link. Cut and weld is NOT safe!

yeah, it's a temporary deal. i'm getting my friend to bend me one in his tubing bender at work. i'm going to gusset it as well.

So where'd you get the 1980 Wagoneer axle from? I'm looking at doing a front axle swap on my 97 explorer too, but I'm not sure what fits or even how to figure out what would work for my truck. Right now I have SOA in the back and torsion twist in the front. It is 4WD sand I'd like to keep it that way. Any advice will be great.
~Bill

As said, ditch the drag link IMMEDIATELY. Get a bent one at the least. Z links suck dong.

Back