hatched91 going from leafs to coils | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hatched91 going from leafs to coils

hi everyone. i had a previous sas thread where i used a jeep dana44 with leafs. i plan on using the same jeep axle but with coils. here's the list i think i'll get.

5.5" wild horses coils
78 bronco coil seats
78 bronco radius arms
78 bronco radius arm brackets
78 bronco coil spring buckets
78 bronco track bar (modified if needed)

i should be getting most of my parts by next weekend. i have some questions that would be great to have answered before i start.

i was wondering about radius arms, do they need to be extended?
what does "wristed" mean?
would i have any problems using coils on my jeep wagoneer dana 44 axle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't need them extended, but that will get you more flex.

A wristed arm is stock length with a "pivot" in the arm to get more flex as well. Here is mine.

WristedArm.jpg

You can get the coils to work on anything with some fab. :)

that's what i figured. i figured you'd just rotate the weld on "c" brackets about the axis of the axle. but yours looks like you took a bolt out and it's just connected with one bolt?

Yes, just one bole so the rest of it can move. Here is a better pic, and it can rotate both ways:

wristedk.jpg

oh i see. So this allows your coil angle to be correct, right? Just to be 100% clear(i guess i'll find out sat when i pick up my parts), there are two bolts in it from the factory, and you just remove one? i can't tell very well from the pic because the lower one is dirty and rusty and i can't see any bolts. also, can you give me a general idea of how high the coil bucket is positioned on the frame rail? i plan on using wildhorses4x4 5.5" lift coils.

The stock one comes with the rivets to hold that shock mount on and that's it.

those are the same coils that a few of us have and it all depends on how much lift you want. Look in the off-road forum section and check out the threads of the ones that have already done this. That will help you out more then me telling you anything. Just read and research a lot and then ask the questions if you can't figure it out. Good luck. :cool:

Oh, and it doesn't allow your coil angle to be correct really, it's just a way to get more flex out of the front end. It actually makes the axle move towards the rear of the fender with the way thay it "wrists".

So do you use that hitch pin to hold it solid on the street?

That's what it's for yes, but I leave mine out. It's really not needed.

oh okay, i see. yeah i'll do some more research about the wristed action. i'm sure it'll become obvious when i get my axle tomorrow. i'll have the truck level, and the rear has SOA and lift shackles, so i'm guessing about 8" of lift or so in the front from stock. i plan on using wildhorses4x4 5.5" lift coils.

Just for reference, those WH 5.5" coils compressed with the weight of the explorer should be right around 18". That should help you decide where you need to put your buckets. :thumbsup:

CoilCompress.jpg

For ***** and giggles (because this pic was right next to the last one i posted), this is what mine looks like.

FenderTrim2.jpg

thanks for the pics! i should have a forklift so it's kinda tackweld and grind off until i get the height i want. i'll get some pics when i get the axle tomorrow.

6 hrs of work to get the majority off. i got it with the whole front of the frame.

now for some sandblasting

i sent off one radius arm, and both caps because i broke off the bolts in them. time to get drilled and retapped. here are the other parts i've sandblasted. i'll be painting in a couple of days.

FYI I moved this to the projects forum. :cool:

Looking good.

WARNING: The D44 you have has cast ends.....there is no axle tube running through the area under axle wedges. See a pic here:

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44_2.htm

Scroll down for a pic. 78-79 D44's on Ford F150's and Broncos had this style housing.

Make sure you post lots of pics of how you do this on the wagoneer axle my truck needs a coil conversion and this would be cool if you get it to work.

Looking good.

WARNING: The D44 you have has cast ends.....there is no axle tube running through the area under axle wedges. See a pic here:

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44_2.htm

Scroll down for a pic. 78-79 D44's on Ford F150's and Broncos had this style housing.

It's a fine axle to use if you keep the stock ra setup. YES you can narrow it if you want but the best idea is to trash the 8.8 and go with a 9" (in my opinion wider is better ;) ). I'm putting in a 79 d44 and leaving it full width.

im doin a dana 60 and sterling 10.25 full width ...love the look of it!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks for the info. i was getting ready to grind them down when i found that out. i'm just going to order some from ebay. i've got some more pics i'll post up soon.

Back