• Register Today It's free!

Hats Off To Monroe!

mtnlovrs

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer XLT
I have to say, "Hats Off To Monroe!" I recently replaced my rear shocks with Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting shocks (purchased from O'Reilly with a lifetime warranty). They are awesome! I can't believe what a difference they made on the ride quality! It completely eliminated the whip lash I used to get going over uneven surfaces and eliminated the sagging rear end - I should have done this years ago!!! These shocks come with coil helper springs, are pre-assembled and are self adjusting. They are sold in pairs for $100 bucks. I like them so much, I think I might get a pair for the front of my F-150. Just thought I would share this with other "Exploder Lovers.":D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have to say, "Hats Off To Monroe!" I recently replaced my rear shocks with Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting shocks (purchased from O'Reilly with a lifetime warranty). They are awesome! I can't believe what a difference they made on the ride quality! It completely eliminated the whip lash I used to get going over uneven surfaces and eliminated the sagging rear end - I should have done this years ago!!! These shocks come with coil helper springs, are pre-assembled and are self adjusting. They are sold in pairs for $100 bucks. I like them so much, I think I might get a pair for the front of my F-150. Just thought I would share this with other "Exploder Lovers.":D

Did you replace them yourself?

I have a '99 AWD Mountaineer, and have been thinking about replacing my worn-out shocks with these.

Do you or did you replace the springs at the time you replaced the shocks?

Monroes a great name brand and being backed by a lifetime warranty is definitely a great piece of mind when installing them in any vehicle.

Steven:

Normally people don't replace the rear leaf springs unless they are damaged or there is a lot of sag in the rear.

let me chime in on this with a precaution,

The new coil over shocks are okay, and help with some rearend sag, but,

the cross member they are connected to is not really built to be a load bearing member.
I would watch to see if it bends or cracks as it just a formed piece of flat steel pressed into that shape, and not really that strong,

just a precaution, not raining on your parade,

I threw some monroe shocks on the ranger about a month ago. Love em, good ride difference.

Did you replace them yourself?

I have a '99 AWD Mountaineer, and have been thinking about replacing my worn-out shocks with these.

Do you or did you replace the springs at the time you replaced the shocks?

Monroes a great name brand and being backed by a lifetime warranty is definitely a great piece of mind when installing them in any vehicle.

Steven:

Normally people don't replace the rear leaf springs unless they are damaged or there is a lot of sag in the rear.

let me chime in on this with a precaution,

The new coil over shocks are okay, and help with some rearend sag, but,

the cross member they are connected to is not really built to be a load bearing member.
I would watch to see if it bends or cracks as it just a formed piece of flat steel pressed into that shape, and not really that strong,

just a precaution, not raining on your parade,
Sorry it took me so long to reply, guys. For some reason this thread wasn't coming up with fresh replies in my "User CP" field until now. Anyway, to answer some of your questions, yes I put them in myself. They weren't hard at all to change. The top bolts/nuts are kinda hard to get to, and just to warn you, there is a cupped area on top of that crossmember that holds a lot of dirt - so wear some safety glasses or goggles when you do yours. Just to clear this up, I didn't change my leaf springs. These new shocks are coil-over shocks, that is, the coil spring surrounds the shock absorber. Because of this, you need to lift your truck high enough to fully extend the rear suspension. I attached the top of the shocks first, then I used the scissor jack that came with the Ex to push the bottom of the shock up far enough to align the bottom hole with the bracket and slid in the bolt.
Corkey, this is just my opinion, but I believe that crossmember is plenty strong enough. The shocks will be helping the leaf springs, not supporting the entire weight of the vehicle and I got underneath and took another look at that crossmember and it's at least as heavy as the rest of the frame and is folded channel. I have seen a lot flimsier vehicles out there.;)

Sorry it took me so long to reply, guys. For some reason this thread wasn't coming up with fresh replies in my "User CP" field until now. Anyway, to answer some of your questions, yes I put them in myself. They weren't hard at all to change. The top bolts/nuts are kinda hard to get to, and just to warn you, there is a cupped area on top of that crossmember that holds a lot of dirt - so wear some safety glasses or goggles when you do yours. Just to clear this up, I didn't change my leaf springs. These new shocks are coil-over shocks, that is, the coil spring surrounds the shock absorber. Because of this, you need to lift your truck high enough to fully extend the rear suspension. I attached the top of the shocks first, then I used the scissor jack that came with the Ex to push the bottom of the shock up far enough to align the bottom hole with the bracket and slid in the bolt.
Corkey, this is just my opinion, but I believe that crossmember is plenty strong enough. The shocks will be helping the leaf springs, not supporting the entire weight of the vehicle and I got underneath and took another look at that crossmember and it's at least as heavy as the rest of the frame and is folded channel. I have seen a lot flimsier vehicles out there.;)

Res-eructing an old thread but want to check wit you to see how they are holding up? I am looking at these now too. Do you tow anything?

have put 45k on mine with a lot of off road no issues at all

shocks.jpg

No problems at all! I still love them. I have 186K miles now and have done a lot of trails in the Rocky's, (some of which were never meant for a stock Explorer). I do recommend these for all of you out there that (like me) refuse to get rid of your old reliable EX's!!! I have a class IV hitch, but haven't towed anything with the Explorer since I bought my pick-up 2 1/2 years ago.;)

I installed these in the rear of our Mounty also.

Reflex were used up front, along with a new "5th shock"

I like the difference they made. They raised the rear to match the front for 31" tire clearance TT adjustment, and after some medium duty off roading in Colorado they seem to be all the same. They allow some flexing also-
( sway bar still installed)

008-2.jpg

I too am concerned about the upper shock mount area, however all seems well at this time.

Right now they are under 80.00 pr at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-58617-...ords=2000+ford+explorer+rear+shock+sensa+trac

I too am concerned about the upper shock mount area, however all seems well at this time.

I really don't think you need to worry about the shock mount. The shock puts far more instantaneous load on it than the spring ever could.

Aside from colors shocks have always looked the same to me. I dont think I have ever said this, but that is a really good looking shock. Sure looks beefy.

Anyone know if they make them for a lift?

I'm not a metalurgist, but I would have to agree with ponkotsu. These days they're mounting shocks and springs to uni-body sheetmetal and, like I explained previously, the leaf springs are holding most of the weight. Also, please take another look at the photo provided by Sogsnakebite and you will see that the shock mount crossmember is a folded channel design, not flat.

Aside from colors shocks have always looked the same to me. I dont think I have ever said this, but that is a really good looking shock. Sure looks beefy.

The Number is
Monroe 58617

58615 fits dodge ram.:D

58614 dodge dakota

I found by varying the last 2 digits and doing a google search there are many "sizes" -

I'm pretty sure that Monroe only makes OEM replacements with the Sensa-Trac, but that doesn't mean you can't find a taller shock that they make for a different vehicle.

Back