• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Have 02 EB Explorer and need parts, will 04 XLT Explorer work?

SidCharming

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT
I have an 02 Explorer and found on CL a 04 that has a blown motor... Wondering if I purchase that 04 and grab parts from it to fix my truck (Rear bumper, inside trim, luggage rack swap (mine has paint pealing) and maybe window motors... If color matches I'll swap driver seat b/c mine has tears in it...

Are the parts interchangeable between the similar body styles? I haven't seen interior of the 04 to see if it matches, but I believe they are same inside too.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

extra-medium

Reaction score
City, State
Charlottesville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
It's the same. Biggest difference between an 02 and an 04 is the 04 has electronic throttle body.

TechGuru

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX
I think all the cosmetic stuff is the same, it's the engine controls/electronics that are different (throttle cable vs drive by wire)

02 may have a different instrument cluster.

1996EB

2007 Sport Trac V8 Limited
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Windsor, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 ST Limited 4.6L 4x4
EB interior will have two tone tan leather and simulated wood trim on the radio bezel and doors. EB is likely to have some additional options that your XLT doesn't have.

1996EB

2007 Sport Trac V8 Limited
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Windsor, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 ST Limited 4.6L 4x4
Also, you likely have "high back" buckets in the front and only 2 headrests in the second row. The EB will have low back buckets and adjustable headrests in the first row. The second row will have a headrest for the middle occupant...unless it happens to have the 2nd row buckets and console option.

Nickp_

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have an 02 Explorer and found on CL a 04 that has a blown motor... Wondering if I purchase that 04 and grab parts from it to fix my truck (Rear bumper, inside trim, luggage rack swap (mine has paint pealing) and maybe window motors... If color matches I'll swap driver seat b/c mine has tears in it...

Are the parts interchangeable between the similar body styles? I haven't seen interior of the 04 to see if it matches, but I believe they are same inside too.

Thanks
With the seats, you may run into wiring issues with the plugs for power/ heated seats. I put 2003 EB seats in my 2002 (just for the non- ripped vinyl) and the plugs didn't match up, even though they are both the Eddie Bauer trim. So,bif you want to add heated or power seats, you're going to have to re- wire pins so it works, otherwise you will have to just transfer the vinyl like I did.