Have items been fixed on MY 2012? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Have items been fixed on MY 2012?

calb

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 AWD Explorer Limited
Okay, I'd like to purchase an Explorer, but here in Canada we generally pay more for cars, and we don't have strong lemon laws. I'd like to purchase in the next month (if Ford Canada brings back a Costco discount that brings us closer to US pricing), but ..... I don't want a problem car.

I recognize that some problems in this forum may be overstated, but I really can't afford to drop a car into a dealership multiple times. So ... for those of you who are receiving or have received a MY2012, can you provide your experience with the following issues that have been previously raised:

A) Transmission Problems Fixed

B) Rain Noise - one user, light rain, no unusual noise

C) Vibration in accelerator pedal, steering wheel Possibly fixed - no 2012 reports

D) Overheating Probably fixed

E) Burnt oil smell during hard acceleration Not noticed by 2012 user, who tested

F) “A Pillar” Issues (whistling, rattle, peeling trim, etc) Still occurring but appears to be less frequent

G) Windshield Wind Noise Fixed

H) Power Steering Issue Random? - no 2012 reports

I) Brake Squeal Random? - no 2012 reports

J) Popping noises when turning Random? - no 2012 reports

K) Glove box rattle Random? - no 2012 reports

L) Heat setting off 4 way flashers No 2012 reports

M) Streaky windows No 2012 reports

N) Liftgate Fit and Finish A 2012 report - not fixed - perhaps new robotics not fully implemented

O) Torque Steer Fixed - no 2012 reports of this

P) Antenna (Satellite Nav Issues & AM/FM Reception) Seems ok in 2012

Q) Microphone "Wind Tunnel" Noise No noise in 2012 without sunroof

R) Inability to turn off rear hatch light, when hatch is open - for drive-in movies!

S) Keyfob Issues

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had my limited since April and now have 8K miles on the truck. I have had none of the issues listed above with two exceptions. Very little rain here in Texas so can't comment on rain issue described in the forum. I do experience some of (not terrible) the streaky window issue.

Except for oil change, I have had no reason to returned to the dealer. Likely with the next oil change I will move from MFT ver 2.7 to 2.11 to improve MFT response.

Free bump, because I want to know the answers. I ordered a 2012, and hope these have been resolved as well.

Transmission Problems?

Ford resolved my transmission problem. It was in the transmission cooling system (part of the tow package) they redesigned a part, and now its fixed. Other than the minor MFT glitch, i have had no other problems. I love it.

I have had my limited since April and now have 8K miles on the truck. I have had none of the issues listed above with two exceptions. Very little rain here in Texas so can't comment on rain issue described in the forum. I do experience some of (not terrible) the streaky window issue.

+1

Ditto everything except I got mine in late May!

Thanks to everyone responding with comments so far (and the free bump :) ) I'll try to note anything that anyone notes as fixed already or where we have MY2012 comments.

HiGrafX - do you happen to know if your transmission fix is now standard, since they redesigned part? If so I'll note it!

Let me know of any issues I might have missed, as well (MFT being the big obvious elephant, but I think that is in a whole different category)

Thanks to everyone responding with comments so far (and the free bump :) ) I'll try to note anything that anyone notes as fixed already or where we have MY2012 comments.

HiGrafX - do you happen to know if your transmission fix is now standard, since they redesigned part? If so I'll note it!

I would think so, but no, i don't know.

I think many of them were fixed in 2011. Out of your list, the only ones I have experienced is rain noise and streaky windows. Those are very minor compared to the glitchy MFT IMO.

I think many of them were fixed in 2011. Out of your list, the only ones I have experienced is rain noise and streaky windows. Those are very minor compared to the glitchy MFT IMO.

I think you are probably correct (I hope you are correct, in fact) and would like to start taking things OFF this list! I'm hoping someone will say - "no, that issue has been dealt with already".

Just a reminder to everyone getting a new 2012 to kindly try to check out the items on the list above. Maybe they are fixed and we'd all like to know.

Each item links to the discussion point on here, so if you don't know what the item is referring to, just click to the link!

Thank You!

Torque Steer: Other than the one memorable event which was probably a unique circumstance (road condition, etc.) I have not had further torque steer issues. Actually, it does quite well in highway passing. I still have that one moment in my mind but only as a "be aware" thing and not something I actively consider.

Torque Steer: Other than the one memorable event which was probably a unique circumstance (road condition, etc.) I have not had further torque steer issues. Actually, it does quite well in highway passing. I still have that one moment in my mind but only as a "be aware" thing and not something I actively consider.

Thanks Randy - I updated with a note that it doesn't appear to be an issue with later 2011 models.

Updated Thread

I've updated the items in the first post on here, to reflect the latest information/testing by 2012 users. No guarantee of accuracy, given limited sample size, but so far 2012 sounds encouraging!

Picked our new x last Friday finally, form the posted list above any issues with our 2012 my LTD,

N) tail gate fit and finish, taking it back next week, gate to far to the left, rubs side.
P) the jury is still out on this. Report later.

No other reported issues on this list, but MFT continues to haunt us!

Thanks for the update Spencgracin. I'm actually shocked!

They put in $100 million worth of optical robots just to check for placement issues? Ouch! Thanks for letting us know.

Does everyone feel there is a real delineation between model years? Aren't there tweaks all throughtout the MY? Doesn't the assembly line just produce 2011 one day, then 2012 the next?

my 2012 has the A pillar rattle....i'll be taking back in this week. if i remember correctly, my build date was early august of this year....

Does everyone feel there is a real delineation between model years? Aren't there tweaks all throughtout the MY? Doesn't the assembly line just produce 2011 one day, then 2012 the next?

I would imagine that tweaks are made on a continual basis as they are noticed. That would be for the little stuff.

The bigger stuff, I thinks waits until the next 'Job #' production run, or a model year retooling/update. That occurred for the Ex in the 2nd or 3rd week in July if I remember correctly.

I am disheartened to hear about the rear hatch alignment issues. The robots should be preventing such problems.

Here's my comments on these issues, not much to report.

A) Transmission Problems - Have not Experienced any

B) Rain Noise - I have moon roof - it rained hard on our trip, i didn't notice anything odd

C) Vibration in accelerator pedal - Have not experienced
D) Overheating - it was hot, and I haven't experienced this

E) Burnt oil smell during hard acceleration - haven't accelerated hard

F) “A Pillar” Issues (whistling, rattle, peeling trim, etc) to early to call this fixed, I may have heard it, but I wasn't sure, the fastest I went was 75mph

G) Windshield Wind Noise - didn't experience

H) Power Steering Issue Random? - didn't experience

I) Brake Squeal Random? - didn't experience

J) Popping noises when turning Random? - didn't experience

K) Glove box rattle Random? - didn't experience

L) Heat setting off 4 way flashers - didn't experience

M) Streaky windows - didn't experience

N) Liftgate Fit and Finish No 2012 reports - Looks fine to me so far

O) Torque Steer Fixed - didn't experience

P) Antenna (Satellite Nav Issues & AM/FM Reception) - didn't experience

Q) Microphone "Wind Tunnel" - didn't experience, however callers said I sounded funny, but not bad

R) Inability to turn off rear hatch light, when hatch is open - didn't experience

S) Keyfob Issues - See story in my review

So my overall experience thus far is very good. Aside from MFT being a wretched piece of software.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it is a range of tweaks, however 2012 model year seemed like a good delineation point that was easily understood, and they usually go through a QA period at the start of a new model year.

Back