Have you ever seen these taillights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Have you ever seen these taillights?

mikebolk

Reaction score
City, State
Parlin NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Sport
hey guys i was at a local swapmeet last weekend and i picked these up i got them cause i had never seen them before and they gave me an idea.. im going to make upside down taillights and have my reverse light on the top.. but! before i do this... since i cant find them online and i wanted to make sure no one on here has been looking for a set.. so heres a picture..

20110417222039.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like what they did was buy the clear taillights, and then used the red translucent hobby paint (Forget what its called) and did the reverse light red. I like it, its definitely something different:thumbsup:

These were brand new in the box from apc... the guy was only selling new taillights but it looked like everything was ooooollllddddd stock

yup seen them. they use to sell the all clear ones back in the day but they were totally illegal so now they have to add red to tail lights

But that red is in the reverse light

That's what I was figuring....ih just really wanted to put these up here incase somone needed them ill leave it here for a couple days then I'm gunna make my ownupside down tail lights... reverse lights on top all red for blinker and tail/brake

yup seen them. they use to sell the all clear ones back in the day but they were totally illegal so now they have to add red to tail lights

Doesnt have to be in the taillights, there just "has" to be a red reflector somewhere on the back.

Example:

2006-Mercury-Mountaineer-06161241990002.jpg

Theres no red in these taillights, (Besides when the brakes/running lights are on) but they have the reflectors on the back.

Ill check but I'm prety sure the red area isn't reflective the reflective portion is actualy clear....

Theres probably not a reflector, but its red and part of the taillight.

I duno about all tht... if I was to put these on my truck I would get stopped before I got out of town... a red reverse light is most definatly ileagal...

Cops strict around you? I could drive without taillights and just have the clear bulbs hanging there :)

(Trust me, ive seen it all around here lol)

Oh yea u can't do a lot around here....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the bottom(rev light) and top(turn signal) the same bulb and socket? on those lights you can probably, if the wires are long enough, plug the reverse socket into the top hole in the housing where its clear, and move the turn signal to the bottom where it is red.

Then again, still doesn't solve the issue about the brakes not lighting up red. I think they make lights that light red when illuminated.

I'm prety sure the sockets are all different to stop people from putting the bulbs in the wong lens...

I'm prety sure the sockets are all different to stop people from putting the bulbs in the wong lens...

Yeah, not sure on the sockets, but the bulbs are the same.

Sockets are different, but the blinker/taillight bulbs are dual filaments; then the reverse is only a single.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back