• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Have you installed Aftermarket Headlights? Share your feedback here!

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
Give an honest review of your experience/install/quality, with the brand/style replacement headlight you installed.

Please state your year & model for reference.

If you have a link to the merchant, install, or personal video of the install to share, please add that as well.

Pictures say a thousand words they say, so if you have some, let us see them!

Explorer Forum Rating of 1-5, 1 being the lowest, 5 being the highest:

Install- easy to hard
Looks- poor to excellent
Price- low to high
Quality- low to high

Would you refer them to someone else, or warn them against?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I have replaced the Explorer headlights, but they were with OEM units I had from the JY. I have a complete set of all head and tail lamp assemblies stored for next time I need them.

The aftermarket units I get every 3-5 years for the Silverado that is parked outside vary upon price and if they say they are OEM replacements. I usually get something off eBay in the $100.00 range when the lenses start to look cloudy. I tried repairing the assemblies, but for the money it just wasn't worth the hours it took. Last set took me about an hour total start to finish. The Explorer took about twice as long, but was not difficult, just had to remove more stuff to get to the back of the assemblies.

For me its all about OEM looks and price. None of them seem to last if exposed to the elements. I was looking at these for price and looks. I am not a fan of clear corners, HID's, or any of that stuff but mine is a old school looking trail rig.
Headlight Kit For 1989-1992 Ford Ranger Left and Right 6pc | eBay

94Eddie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mountaineer Premier
Also, I would like to hear if anyone has a source for 4th gen Mountaineer headlights. I have searched and only found used or rather expensive OEM parts.

Falcon_LS

Reaction score
City, State
Kuwait
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Your best bet with the aftermarket will be to seek out CAPA certified parts, which means they have been tested for their material properties, weld integrity, fit and finish and corrosion where applicable. They will not be available for every application, but if they are, they will be the closest thing to OEM without the OE price tag.

Allen Clark

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer
I am planning to install an aftermarket headlight as well, but I'm not sure which one to purchase.

Bazz270

Reaction score
City, State
Haifa
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 2007 XLT
Replaced my EX 2007 XLT headlight to chinese aftermarket black bezel ones a year ago.purchased in Carid.
Brand name "Spyder"..DOT SAE certified.lasted about a year only (bad uv coat,headlamp reflector cap fall apart,bad mousture sealant)..now replaced by brand new oem headlights.

Such

slisman

Reaction score
City, State
Gdańsk
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer II
Ford Explorer II 4.0 SOHC 2000'

My OEM lights were faded and yellowed so I ordered clear lights from amazon and good quality lens for H1 bulbs.
1) Installation of assemblies was not sa easy because mounting plastic points were slightly different than OEM, so I swapped some of OEM mounts
2) Unglueing lamps was not so easy too - there was gray tough glue which couldn't be baked in oven or heat gun. All in all I had to cut through plastic.
3) Mounting lens was the easiest part due to quick mounts for H4 bulb with adapter for H1 in lens
4) I have H1 led bulbs now

Am I satisfied? Yes, the light quality is good, range is good. But I am not satisfied with beam lights - as I have H1 bulb there is no more extra light as in H4, only shutter comes up. But it is not big issue as I have additional long range offroad lights (fully street legal) connected to beam lights.

_nc_ohc=PjqD7fQkw38AX-NdvEZ&_nc_ht=scontent-waw1-1.jpg
_nc_ohc=fUNZyG5ehTcAX_D2QtS&_nc_ht=scontent-waw1-1.jpg
_nc_ohc=XTLY0z6IQm4AX-EeeoH&_nc_ht=scontent-waw1-1.jpg
_nc_ohc=XqFS4HvAbHwAX_f4lm5&_nc_ht=scontent-waw1-1.jpg